Recipe Fresh ginger ale

mjd

Veteran
Local time
5:31 AM
I usually make my ginger ale at home because there is so much sugar in the commercial brands. I usually cut it down in this recipe also.

Fresh ginger ale

4 cups water
2 cups peeled and chopped fresh ginger
3 strips lemon peel, about 4 inches each, yellow part only
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 quarts club soda, chilled

In a 4-quart saucepan, place the water, ginger, and lemon peel. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer at a low boil, uncovered, for about 10 minutes.

Add the sugar, stirring constantly, and continue to boil until reduced to 3 cups (about 15 minutes).

Place a fine wire strainer over a large bowl. Pour in the ginger syrup to separate the solids from liquids. Discard the lemon peel. The strained, cooked ginger pieces can be reserved for other uses like vanilla ice cream or yogurt if desired.

Allow the ginger simple syrup to cool before pouring into a glass container. Seal it tightly and chill for at least 1 hour until it's cold. You can also store it for up to one week in the fridge.

When ready to serve, mix 1/4 cup ginger simple syrup with 1 cup cold club soda per serving and pour over ice. Additional ginger syrup or sugar may be added to sweeten it to taste.

Source: A Refreshing Ginger Ale Recipe to Rival the Best

That's cool..I just might give it a try..GF loves ginger ale...

Reactions: mjd
We had a ginger beer bug as a kid, we made and bottled it. Some bottles exploded late one night so it ended then.

Russ
I helped my mother make some homemade root beer for my younger siblings. I messed up on the yeast and all the glass bottles exploded overnight. It was a chore cleaning it off the walls. I've been paranoid scared of yeast ever since.

I helped my mother make some homemade root beer for my younger siblings. I messed up on the yeast and all the glass bottles exploded overnight. It was a chore cleaning it off the walls. I've been paranoid scared of yeast ever since.

Pretty much like my experience.

Russ

• Sad or Sorry
Reactions: mjd
Back
Top Bottom