Fresh Pineapple

Rosyrain

Veteran
Local time
3:44 AM
Yesterday I went food shopping at the grocery store and saw that fresh whole pineapples were on sale for $2.50 each and so I bought one. It was a bargain if you ask me. It has been a long time since I have purchased a pineapple that I have to cut into myself, so how can I tell if it is ripe and ready yet? Is it like any other citrus fruit where you can smell it and look for the sweet fragrance?

This is something I love! I think that was a great buy. My kids and I love to purchase this fresh. I seem to get more for my money. I much rather purchasing anything fresh opposed to in the can. I just feel that what I am eating is healthier.

Yesterday I went food shopping at the grocery store and saw that fresh whole pineapples were on sale for $2.50 each and so I bought one. It was a bargain if you ask me. It has been a long time since I have purchased a pineapple that I have to cut into myself, so how can I tell if it is ripe and ready yet? Is it like any other citrus fruit where you can smell it and look for the sweet fragrance?

You know, I believe its the case that pineapples (unlike some other fruits) don't ripen once picked. So you might as well eat it now!

i love the ripe golden pineapples,we have a pineapple in our fruit basket all the time,
just done a crushed pineapple iced terrine with candied pineapple and golden rum soaked raisins

I did some work in Ghana a few years ago and had to visit a fruit farm as part of my job. I was sitting there talking to the owner when a chap came in with a freshly-cut pineapple. I've never tasted anything that good.

Something else that I learned at that time was how producers (not just of fruit) got so badly treated and I swore that I would always try to buy fair trade fruit after that.

I would love to be able to have a pineapple right off the tree. I have a friend from Brazil and she says that tropical fruit in the store tastes nothing like it does when it is first picked off of a tree. Tonight I am going to cut into my pineapple and enjoy every last bite of it.

My wine runner was born and raised in Hawaii and he has worked for both sugar companies and pineapple companies. He told me that pineapples do not ripen once they have been picked so when chosing one, smell them until you find one that smells like a pineapple. I have bought many pineapples before he told me that which were not very sweet. Now you can find me at the pineapple display sniffing away. I may get some weird looks, but I get a good pineapple.

PIneapples don't grow on trees. They grow on about 3 foot high plants, one pineapple to a plant and they grow right out of the middle of the plant.

I usually leave the choice of pineapples up to my husband - he spent 3 years living in Hawaii so I would say he's quite the expert.

His method, as weird as it may sound, is just sniffing them - and he hasn't been wrong yet. Me on the other hand, I used to believe in the pulling one of the spears out from the top and if it came out easily it was ripe -- but that hasn't yielded as consistent results for us.

Gotta love fresh pineapple though - reminds me of summer every time!

Found my pictures from Ghana...

accra4.JPG

The sight makes me drool even now.

Fresh sweet pine apple is very delicious fruit and it's been a long time I have a fresh one.

We always use the smell method. The base [opposite the leaves] should smell sort of sweet, as a back up it should 'give' very slightly when squeezed - always worked ok for us.
PS - we keep sliced pineapple in the fridge - it's brilliant cold [it doesn't get a chance to go dry !!]

The smell and like most fruit, I believe the firmness of it has a slight give when its good and ripe. I love fresh pineapple added to a fruit salad, with a little single (vegan) cream! :hungry:

There is an abundance of fresh pineapple in the big groceries here. One brand that stands out is Dole because of its guaranteed freshness and sweetness. Although it is more expensive than the ordinary pineapple, we only buy Dole. What's good in the groceries is that the pineapple is already chopped and packed in styrofoam trays and wrapped by cellophane so you can see the sliced pineapple if it is still fresh. Pineapple is good for the digestive system so we regularly buy.

I think the sweet smell of the pineapple just like the other fruits mentioned is indicative of the taste. That smell draws me in and would make me want to grab some and buy. I have not been wrong yet about this method and I think most of us go by that simple technique.

I love fresh pineapple and pineapple out of the can. I have purchased fresh pineapple plants, cut the top and grown my own plant in the past, I did not get any new pineapples but I did enjoy the plant.

Back
Top Bottom