Fresh/Raw Fruit & Veg

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
3:56 AM
Burt Blank's frequent posts of his fresh/raw fruit desserts made me wonder...how many of you frequently incorporate fresh, uncooked fruit and veg into your daily food choices?

We do have some nearly every day, whether it be fresh fruit as a snack (usually apples, bananas, or grapes), or as part of a light meal, meaning salads or even just carrot and celery sticks as part of lunch.

Right now, we're munching our way through a big bag of turnips. I always mean to cook/mash some, but they never seem to survive that long. MrsT also frequently eats raw potatoes.

I just finished this:

Burt Blank's frequent posts of his fresh/raw fruit desserts made me wonder...how many of you frequently incorporate fresh, uncooked fruit and veg into your daily food choices?

We do have some nearly every day, whether it be fresh fruit as a snack (usually apples, bananas, or grapes), or as part of a light meal, meaning salads or even just carrot and celery sticks as part of lunch.

Right now, we're munching our way through a big bag of turnips. I always mean to cook/mash some, but they never seem to survive that long. MrsT also frequently eats raw potatoes.

I just finished this:

Bananas are favorite for Breakfast. Other fruits are taken in as juices. I lost some teeth on apples. So, if I do apples, I need to slice them up. I like tangerines and oranges whole.

I will also mix in bananas and mango or papaya in a blender with half n half to do smoothies. Of course, berries make it in there too.

I eat a lot of Cranberries and Raisins plus dehydrated fruit like apricots, mango and pineapple as snacks.

I will be doing a fruit entree as part of the Tumeric Recipe Challenge. It should be something to take note of, as it is not the usual thing for a meal.

I just finished this:

During the cold season we have fruit plates on the table: a varying sortiment of bananas, apples, pears, yellow kiwi fruit, avocados, mangos, citrus fruit, figs and/or passionfruit. We have strawberries, raspberries, currants, gooseberries, blueberries, cranberries, lingonberries and cloudberries in the freezer. We eat them frozen and thawn; mostly in fruities. In the summer we eat wild/local berries, East-European cherries, apricots and nectarines and home-grown, local or EU-grown vegetables. We munch e.g. turnips, cauliflower, bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, swedes, cabbage, sprouts and carrots raw (in addition to regular lettuce mix). Usually my hubby takes a fruit and veggie snack box to work.

Today's sortiment (a funny bowl on a plate compilation...):
hed.jpg

Pears, oranges, bananas and grapes are the daily favs here! Raw Veggies not so much except for dinner salads. Occasionally celery sticks with peanut butter, pimento cheese or hummus. Not a fan of raw carrots.

My way of eating fruits, and some veggies it as a snack. I'll buy some red grapes, and grab a handful throughout the day. Same with strawberries, but only during the fully ripe season -- basically June. I can make a meal out of fresh veggies in season. The rest of the year, I'll have a snack of broccoli and cauliflower with a little ranch dressing. Celery and cream cheese is good, too. No carrots!!!

I usually have apples in the fridge, too.

Oh, I love cantaloupe and honeydew melons -- there again, during the short season they are perfectly ripe.

When my parents lived in Puerto Rico, they had two mango trees in the backyard. I could walk out the back door, grab the step ladder that was always there, pick a ripe mango and eat it.

At my last house, I had a peach tree. It was a lot of work to maintain, but there is nothing better than a ripe peach right off the tree. Well, there is something better, a half dozen ripe peaches right off the tree. I would stand in the yard, lean forward, and let the juice run down my chin and drip on the ground. They were that juicy.

CD

Last edited:
I eat seasonal fruit here for desert 5 days a week. Sat/Sun I have fruit for lunch and treats for dinner. I really like fruit. I miss the best desert apple in the world Cox's Orange Pippin. The Bramley apple is unrivaled for cooking in my opinion. I can't get my favorite mango here. all Pakistani mangoes are superb but the Alphonso is king.
1607582158086.png

I eat snack vegetables ( peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes) at least once a day. Aside from that my breakfast always has either porridge or yoghurt with fresh fruit.
My main meals always contain at least two vegetables too, and often five or more. Sometimes I eat yoghurt with fruit as a snack or drink a smoothie for breakfast. But definitely both are present in my diet.

I like almost all fruits and veggies. I don't care for fresh peaches or kiwi though. I usually wash and cut up various fruits and/or veggies to have as munchies throughout the day. I also eat salads all the time, probably 4-5 times per week. I make fruit or vegetable smoothies a few times per month. I also drink fresh extracted vegetable or fruit juices. I would do this more if it wasn't such a pain to wash the juice extractor. ;-)

Last edited:
The best fruit we had growing up was stolen. We lived not far (10 min walk) from the lodge, a home for the elderly with mental issues. They had their own huge garden with every fruit I could think of. Me and a few kids used to go on missions ( we read war comics) to,get fresh apples pears peaches etc.
we have fruit on the bench all the time, I love mandarins. Wife loves bananas. We serve fresh fruit prolly every month on a Sunday for the kids, blueberries, grapes,melons etc.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom