Fresh tea

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
11:49 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Has anyone ever had tea made from fresh, not dried tea leaves?

Over here in Australia I have come across a brand of fresh tea called Prana Chai. It comes in 2 varieties, one sweetened with agave and the other with honey (masala blend).

It's rather nice.

The Australian site is this one https://pranachai.com but I have found they have a European site as well (https://pranachai.eu/) where the costs are in euros.

I don't make it to the instructions. In fact when I've made it, it has always been the traditional Eastern European way (black) in my fresh herbs tea pot and about 1/3 the strength they recommend. So a single 250g bag makes rather more servings than it suggests. I think I get around 50 pots (500ml) from each 250g bag drinking it black and slightly sweet.

I don't understand. I watched their video and their tea is made from black dried ceylon tea - plus lots of dried spices and honey or agave. The 'fresh' aspect seems to be referring to them making up batches freshly every day. So its really no different then making your own blend at home using ceylon tea.

Blending tea isn't something learnt overnight/in one day. It takes time.

Moreso when selling to a mass market. Get it wrong once....

To the question at hand, No. And I think there might be a slight problem convincing Customs of just what the leaves were.

In the 1960s, 70s and 80s my brother used to travel to Sri Lanka regularly and used to bring back several pounds of orange pekoe tea each time. It was unblended and absolutely lovely. None of the orange pekoe teas on sale over here could come anywhere near it for taste. I also used to get Dilmah's English afternoon tea more recently, again unblended and brought over from Sri Lanka (I worked for several Sri Lankan doctors, so getting it was no problem until I retired). Our local Tesco only used to have it in teabags, but it didn't taste the same, and now they seem to have stopped doing it altogether. I prefer loose tea, but most of the ones readily available in the UK are just not to my taste. I am now restricted to decaf tea and that can work out quite expensive

I've had green tea with silver tips that was barely dried. It was still a bit pliable, not crumbly. It had a sweet, grassy flavor that was really nice.

I don't understand. I watched their video and their tea is made from black dried ceylon tea - plus lots of dried spices and honey or agave. The 'fresh' aspect seems to be referring to them making up batches freshly every day.
I think you could be correct there. I misread it.

So its really no different then making your own blend at home using ceylon tea.
It is different. It's nice. I actually don't like tea. I tolerate green or white tea at best.
Turkish/Greek/Serbian Chai especially Turkish Chai was another matter entirely though. It's the spice blend that makes all the difference. Something I guess you could do at home, but it would waste a lot of tea and spices, create a lot of mess and leave me hating tea even more.

Back
Top Bottom