Fresh yeast or dried yeast for sweet breads?

Foodie14

Veteran
Local time
2:46 AM
I'm very fond of cinnamon rolls, stollen, and other sweet breads, but I find that dried yeast works best for these recipes overall. When I'm making regular bread for sandwiches I definitely prefer fresh yeast; I think the flavor is much better, but it doesn't seem to give me the same result when I use it with sweet breads. I'm thinking it may have something to do with the sugar content or something.

If anyone has any knowledge they can share about this, I'd be grateful. I would definitely prefer to switch to using all fresh yeast if possible, but I need to know how to get it right for my sweet breads.

I have always found using fresh yeast to be a problem. Its a bit tricky to get right, so i always use dried yeast. Sorry I can't help. Good luck.

I have always found using fresh yeast to be a problem. Its a bit tricky to get right, so i always use dried yeast. Sorry I can't help. Good luck.

That's ok, thanks anyway.

As an update, I made two sweet loaves in the last couple of days; one with fresh, one with dried. I still think the dried yeast works best, but now that I've made an excellent sourdough starter and done a lot of reading up on using it in sweet breads and cakes, I am looking forward to seeing how it goes.

I don't find fresh yeast problematic when I use it in my regular bread recipes, but I've heard a mixture of results on the whole from friends.

Back
Top Bottom