Staff member
Local time
11:31 PM
Fried Cabbage & Corn with Bacon
Makes 4 servings

Ingredients
4 to 5 oz. bacon (thick or thinly sliced), cut cross-wise into 1/2-inch pieces
2 TB butter
1 cup thinly sliced spring or sweet summer onions, plus some of the green if using spring onions (reserve the green portion separately)
2 tsp roughly chopped fresh thyme
1 1/2 cup freshly cut corn (from about 2 ears) plus scrapings
1/2 small green cabbage (about 1 lb.), quartered, cored and thinly sliced cross-wise
2 to 3 TB minced Italian flat-leaf parsley

Directions
Render bacon until crisp over medium to medium-low heat. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a plate.

Add a tablespoon of butter to the pan and increase the heat to medium. When the butter foams, add the onions, thyme and a good pinch of salt and some freshly ground pepper. Sweat until the onions are tender and translucent—3 to 5 minutes. Add the corn, along with the green portion of the onions (if using spring onions), and cook until the corn is sizzling, stirring occasionally—about 3 minutes.

Add the remaining tablespoon of butter, increase the heat slightly and add the cabbage. Season with salt & pepper. Add a couple of tablespoons of water to the pan and cook the cabbage, tossing and stirring until the cabbage begins to wilt. Continue to cook until the cabbage is just tender. If necessary, cover the pan and lower the heat for a minute or two. The cabbage should only take a few minutes to cook.

Add the parsley and taste and correct the seasoning. Add the bacon and fold in, or serve with the bacon sprinkled over the top.

Recipe courtesy of fortheloveofthetable.com

What an interesting combination! It is really good to remember this recipe, when all the ingredients kind of happen to be on hand. The fresh thyme and parsley must be very refreshing. And very finely complimenting the fried cabbage. Oh, and the bacon, of course, it would probably happen , like in my quiche with corn and bacon bits, I picked up the bacon bits first, like within the first minute of it being cooled off sufficiently , so the quiche was eventually left baconless:angelic:.
And all that coming from a former vegan, tssss...Nothing else to add, I really do enjoy bacon recently.
As I do not fancy parsley much (it might change), what other fresh herb would you suggest goes well with this?

Oh, and the bacon, of course, it would probably happen , like in my quiche with corn and bacon bits, I picked up the bacon bits first, like within the first minute of it being cooled off sufficiently , so the quiche was eventually left baconless
That’s why you gotta make extra bacon! :wink:

For the parsley substitution, I’d probably just use chives.

Back
Top Bottom