Recipe Fried Catfish and Onion Rings

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
10:52 AM
This really is not challenge worthy. It is more technique rather than a recipe. G wanted fried fish for dinner last night so I am tossing it in for fun. Unfortunately I do not have a weight for the fish.
In July we needed to get out of the house so we went fishing in the Delcambre Canal. Unlike many fishing spots this one has a rock bottom - cleaner than most. I caught a 9 lab. 25" Channel Catfish. Rummaging through the freezer I found the last filet from my monster catfish. BINGO! Fried Catfish and Onion Rings for dinner.
The filet was larger and thicker than I normally use so I cut it into chunks.

INGREDIENTS
Catfish Filet
Salt
Pepper
Smoked Paprika
Ground pepper (my garden produced huge quantities of peppers. I dried and ground a combination of Jalapenos, Serrano Peppers and Dragon Cayenne Peppers. It is super hot so I use it in extreme moderation)
1 Yellow onion sliced thin
1 cup APF
1 cup Corn Flour
4 eggs
4 TBSP water
Canola oil for frying

METHOD
  1. Heat oven to 200 degrees F
  2. Prepare two sheet pans with racks
  3. We fry outside on a propane burner.
  4. Season the fish with salt, pepper, smoked paprika and cayenne or ground hot pepper. Set aside.
  5. Slice the onion as thin as you can
  6. Prepare the flour dredge - in a bowl combine APF and Corn Flour. Whisk in salt, pepper, 1 TBSP smoked Paprika and 1/8 Tsp ground hot peppers
  7. In a bowl whisk 4 eggs with 4 TBSP water
  8. I fry the onion rings first
  9. Heat the oil to 350 degrees F. Dip the rings in the egg wash, shake, dredge in flour, shake add to hot oil. Cook until golden. Remove to a sheet pan with a rack. Cook in batches. Salt then put in oven to keep warm.
  10. Cook the fish - egg wash, shake, dredge, shake, fry until golden. Serve with homemade tartar sauce and a salad. I made a tart cabbage slaw.

Seasoned fish and rings

Egg wash and seasoned dredge

Dinner

I am not a fan of Ketchup. The exceptions are Fries (Chips) and onion rings
Nothing special. I have actual recipes in mind for the challenge. This is just for fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Morning Glory
You are too kind. Fried fish in the southern states is everyday fare. I entered because it was fish and it was fun to make. I do have to say that the fish and the rings were really good.

This really is not challenge worthy. It is more technique rather than a recipe. G wanted fried fish for dinner last night so I am tossing it in for fun. Unfortunately I do not have a weight for the fish.
In July we needed to get out of the house so we went fishing in the Delcambre Canal. Unlike many fishing spots this one has a rock bottom - cleaner than most. I caught a 9 lab. 25" Channel Catfish. Rummaging through the freezer I found the last filet from my monster catfish. BINGO! Fried Catfish and Onion Rings for dinner.
The filet was larger and thicker than I normally use so I cut it into chunks.

INGREDIENTS
Catfish Filet
Salt
Pepper
Smoked Paprika
Ground pepper (my garden produced huge quantities of peppers. I dried and ground a combination of Jalapenos, Serrano Peppers and Dragon Cayenne Peppers. It is super hot so I use it in extreme moderation)
1 Yellow onion sliced thin
1 cup APF
1 cup Corn Flour
4 eggs
4 TBSP water
Canola oil for frying

METHOD
  1. Heat oven to 200 degrees F
  2. Prepare two sheet pans with racks
  3. We fry outside on a propane burner.
  4. Season the fish with salt, pepper, smoked paprika and cayenne or ground hot pepper. Set aside.
  5. Slice the onion as thin as you can
  6. Prepare the flour dredge - in a bowl combine APF and Corn Flour. Whisk in salt, pepper, 1 TBSP smoked Paprika and 1/8 Tsp ground hot peppers
  7. In a bowl whisk 4 eggs with 4 TBSP water
  8. I fry the onion rings first
  9. Heat the oil to 350 degrees F. Dip the rings in the egg wash, shake, dredge in flour, shake add to hot oil. Cook until golden. Remove to a sheet pan with a rack. Cook in batches. Salt then put in oven to keep warm.
  10. Cook the fish - egg wash, shake, dredge, shake, fry until golden. Serve with homemade tartar sauce and a salad. I made a tart cabbage slaw.

Seasoned fish and rings
View attachment 50376

Egg wash and seasoned dredge
View attachment 50377

Dinner
View attachment 50378

I am not a fan of Ketchup. The exceptions are Fries (Chips) and onion rings
Nothing special. I have actual recipes in mind for the challenge. This is just for fun.
Looks delicious Elizabeth B. I much prefer wild caught catfish, than the farm raised. Years ago my Dad and I ran trot lines for catfish in the bay.

Thank you Morning Glory
You are too kind. Fried fish in the southern states is everyday fare. I entered because it was fish and it was fun to make. I do have to say that the fish and the rings were really good.

I think it is more than just daily fare, it is tradition. I think of it as our "fish and chips." It is even an event in the South, the Fish Fry.

CD

ElizabethB Its bloody marvelous there is only one judge and that's me. I will decide whats fit for purpose not you. So enter it or forever be damned to walk in the shadows of the golden arch.
1605248584424.png

Back
Top Bottom