mypinchofitaly.co.uk
Puffed millet breading.jpg

Serves: 2 | Preparation time: <10 mins | Cooking time: 10-15 mins

• Chicken breast: 220 g
  • Eggs: 2
  • Puffed millet: 4 tbsp
  • Cornmeal flour: 4 tbsp
  • Salt: to taste
  • Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) or seed oil (for deep-frying)
Method

Beat up the eggs in a bowl together with a pinch of salt. Place the millet and the cornmeal flour together in a shallow plate and mix them thoroughly.

Cut the chiken into bite-sized pieces.

Tip: To make sure your fried chicken is well cooked through, cut pieces not thicker than 5 mm.

Dip the chicken pieces into the beaten eggs, then roll them on the millet and cornmeal mixture until thoroughly coated. Press them down in the breading to ensure an even result.

Heat up the oil in a pan and use a toothpick to verify whether the oil is hot enough to start deep-frying the chicken. If little bubbles form around the toothpick when you dip it into the oil, you’re good to go.

Deep fry no more than 2 or 3 pieces of chicken at a time and leave them to cook for 7 to 8 minutes.

Use a skimmer to remove the fried chicken from the oil and lay it down on a plate lined with kitchen paper. The paper will absorb most of the oil left on the breading.

Season to taste and serve warm.

Tip: If you want to give this recipe an extra kick, add a pinch of paprika or turmeric (or both!) to the cornmeal and millet mixture.

Its interesting that you can buy that ready 'puffed'. I'm not sure you can get that here in the UK. Is it sold for the sort of recipe you posted?

It is sold to add to yogurt or even in cold milk, for breakfast. But it can also be used for the preparation of bars (something I'm working on) and, to experiment as in this case, for a slightly different breading. You can use it as you would use puffed rice.

It could seems barley, but it isn't.
Millet is a cereal and for this recipe I've used the puffed version.
View attachment 24019

Great idea! I bet it's deliciously crunchy too. Reminds me of Rice Krispies. I've heard of chicken dipped in melted butter and rolled in crushed cornflakes (a breakfast cereal), or in crushed pretzels, as well. Never thought of using puffed rice.

Chocolate chicken (believe it or not) was popular for a while. Maybe they used crushed cocoa puffs (breakfast cereal). lol. Food for thought.

The bars you mentioned remind me of rice krispies treats. Melted butter, mini marshmallows and rice krispies.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=rice+krispies&form=HDRSC2&first=1&cw=1129&ch=376

https://thepioneerwoman.com/food-and-friends/rice-krispie-treats-3-ways/
prod_ec_1976720802.jpg

Last edited:
Chocolate chicken (believe it or not) was popular for a while. Maybe they used crushed cocoa puffs (breakfast cereal). lol. Food for thought.

Not sure about that one!

But using Rice Krispies is a good idea. I don't think we can get puffed millet here but I gather its easy enough to make your own - just like popcorn.

Don't know if puffed millet is available here, as well. That's what made me think of rice krispies (and cocoa puffs for chocolate chicken). Making your own is always an option. Just an idea. Chocolate chicken sounded odd to me too, but it really is a thing. There's a restaurant here called Chocochicken that makes chocolate fried chicken. It just might be good. Lol. Cocoa powder & cinnamon maybe? There's mexican mole and Moroccan chicken. Anyway, that's what made me think of puffed rice cereal.

Now chocolate popcorn. There's an idea. My mind wanders. Lol

Last edited:
Chocolate chicken sounded odd to me too, but it really is a thing. There's a restaurant here called Chocochicken that makes chocolate fried chicken. It just might be good. Lol. Cocoa powder & cinnamon maybe? There's mexican mole and Moroccan chicken. Anyway, that's what made me think of puffed rice cereal.

Oh yes - I can see it Mexican Mole style but perhaps not with sugary Chocolate Rice Crispies!

Oh yes - I can see it Mexican Mole style but perhaps not with sugary Chocolate Rice Crispies!
I try to avoid sugar. It was a suggestion, and guess at the ingredients - jumping off point, if you can't find the ingredients. These days, I think companies are making their products healthier than yesteryear re sugar etc. I would read the label first to be sure.

Last edited:
Great idea! I bet it's deliciously crunchy too. Reminds me of Rice Krispies. I've heard of chicken dipped in melted butter and rolled in crushed cornflakes (a breakfast cereal), or in crushed pretzels, as well. Never thought of using puffed rice.

The bars you mentioned remind me of rice krispies treats. Melted butter, mini marshmallows and rice krispies.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=rice+krispies&form=HDRSC2&first=1&cw=1129&ch=376

https://thepioneerwoman.com/food-and-friends/rice-krispie-treats-3-ways/
View attachment 24032

Rice Krispies, I've always loved them!
The chicken dipped in melted butter does not inspire me much, but the breading with cereals (Kellogs, certainly I know them and I used them to bread sometimes) or with pretzels, is excellent, as well as that with crackers .
The chocolate chicken is something so far from me that I like it !! I could also decide to experiment it ... I'll let you know.
Now I'm concentrating on making bars with puffed millet ... maybe I could make chicken bars with it?

However, puffed rice and puffed millet in the end are brothers, so both are fine. And yes, I can confirm that the breading is very crunchy!

Rice Krispies, I've always loved them!
The chicken dipped in melted butter does not inspire me much, but the breading with cereals (Kellogs, certainly I know them and I used them to bread sometimes) or with pretzels, is excellent, as well as that with crackers .
The chocolate chicken is something so far from me that I like it !! I could also decide to experiment it ... I'll let you know.
Now I'm concentrating on making bars with puffed millet ... maybe I could make chicken bars with it?

However, puffed rice and puffed millet in the end are brothers, so both are fine. And yes, I can confirm that the breading is very crunchy!

Oops. You did say dip the chicken in beaten eggs, not melted butter. My mistake, and I agree with you. The chocolate is wacky enough to actually be good. lol

Oops. You did say dip the chicken in beaten eggs, not melted butter. My mistake, and I agree with you. The chocolate is wacky enough to actually be good. lol

Thank God, in fact I fell a chill in reading chicken dipped in butter! :scratchhead:
Chicken and chocolate, now this thought will accompany me for a long time ......

Back
Top Bottom