12:51 PM
Fried Fish Sandwich

Cook Time: 20 minutes
Servings: Yield 4 sandwiches
Source: Fried Fish Sandwich Recipe

INGREDIENTS

FOR THE TARTAR SAUCE:

½ cup mayonnaise

¼ cup bread and butter pickle chips, finely chopped, plus 1 tablespoon pickle brine

1 small shallot, finely chopped

2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh dill

2 tablespoons (drained) capers, coarsely chopped

1 teaspoon soy sauce or tamari

Kosher salt

FOR THE FRIED FISH:

1 cup vegetable oil

¼ cup all-purpose flour

2 large eggs, lightly beaten

2 cups panko bread crumbs

4 flounder fillets (about 1 pound), halved crosswise

Kosher salt

FOR ASSEMBLY:

4 soft white buns

4 slices American cheese or Cheddar

DIRECTIONS

Prepare the tartar sauce: In a medium bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, pickles and pickle brine, shallot, dill, capers and soy sauce. Season with salt to taste and set aside. (Makes 3/4 cup.)

Prepare the fried fish: Heat oil in a large, straight-sided skillet over medium. Place flour, eggs and panko in 3 separate medium shallow bowls. Season flounder on both sides with salt and dredge in flour, dusting off excess, then transfer to egg wash, allow excess to drip off, then coat with panko.

Working in batches, fry about 4 breaded fillets at a time until golden brown and cooked through, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Transfer to a wire rack and season with salt. Repeat with remaining fish.

Assemble the sandwiches: Spread tartar sauce on both sides of each bun. Place 1 piece of fried fish on each bottom bun, then add a slice of cheese on top and another piece of fish on the cheese. The residual heat from the fish will help melt the cheese. Sandwich together and serve immediately.

I love fried fish sandwiches. I've never used a recipe. I prefer fried catfish, which I am sure would work with the recipe you linked to. I don't use cheese on mine, but that is personal preference. I also use a mix of flour and corn meal, but panko bread crumbs sounds good, too.

CD

Reactions: mjd
I love fried fish sandwiches. I've never used a recipe. I prefer fried catfish, which I am sure would work with the recipe you linked to. I don't use cheese on mine, but that is personal preference. I also use a mix of flour and corn meal, but panko bread crumbs sounds good, too.

CD
I love fried catfish too. The only place I can get it here is a small Mexican grocery store on the other side of town so I don't have it too often. I've used flour and cornmeal most of the time, but it's nice to change it up with Panko here and there too. I'm also not a fan of cheese on it but I know that's how McDonald's make theirs. I prefer food I prepare better than restaurant food. I just don't have the energy to cook like I used to.

Please post your thoughts if you make this. I'd like to hear them.

I remember visiting Harry Ramsden's chippy in Singapore in the 90s. I ordered cod, chips and mushy peas with two slices of bread and butter. The bread was cut diagonally. I called the waitress (which turned out to be the owner) and explained that rectangular fish will not fit between two slices of triangular bread. I also pointed out that the peas were too dry and also needed another 10 minutes cooking.

About a week or two later we went back and not only was the bread uncut but she pointed out that the peas had been cooked longer and were less dry and asked if they were to my liking.

Back
Top Bottom