Recipe Fried milk cream

MypinchofItaly

Forum GOD!
Local time
7:23 AM
Website
mypinchofitaly.co.uk
Fried milk cream is a traditional sweet snack served in different regions of Italy. Depending on the region, it will be served as a starter, as a side dish or as a dessert.

For example, in Emilia Romagna and Abruzzo, this cream is salty and accompanied by a fried mixture of olives, vegetables and fried meat.

This delicacy in Venice and Liguria (Genova), on the contrary, is dessert, especially during the Carnival period.

Ingredients for 30 small pieces

• 5 medium eggs
  • 100 g. white flour
  • 50 g. brown sugar
  • 500 ml. of milk
  • Grated peel of 1 lemon
  • Breadcrumbs to taste
  • Peanuts oil to fry
Method

Heat the milk or microwave or in a pan without boiling it.

In a high-edged casserole, mix 2 eggs and 1 egg yolk together with sugar and 1 pinch of salt.

Add the sifted flour and lemon peel, when you have a homogenous cream, mix the milk at a time, always stirring.

Place the casserole on low heat and bring the cream to the boil without stopping to mix.

After a few minutes from the boil, pour the cream into a baking tray before lined with baking paper, spreading it with a spatula at a thickness of about 2 cm.

Store in a cool, dry place, not in the fridge.

When it has cooled down, cut it into rectangles or little cubes, as you prefer.

In a bowl put the remaining eggs and put breadcrumbs in another bowl, heat the oil in a large frying pan.

Quickly pour the pieces of cream into the eggs then into the breadcrumbs, then a few pieces at a time in peanuts oil, stir them often.

Let them dry the excess oil on kitchen paper and still warm, if you like, put some powdered sugar or granulated sugar...... an exquisite !!!

Fried milk cream.jpg

Fascinating! I've never heard of this before. It seems to be a set egg custard coated in egg and breadcrumb. I am interested in the savoury version - would that be a slightly different recipe?

Fascinating! I've never heard of this before. It seems to be a set egg custard coated in egg and breadcrumb. I am interested in the savoury version - would that be a slightly different recipe?

I often have it when I go to Genova, very delicious. As slightly different recipe do you mean salted version?

Last edited:
I thought I was getting deja vu - @MypinchofItaly! I actually made these! I had forgotten as wasn't very keen on them, but see here (scroll down to see my effort).
Fried Milk

I've just see the threads about it! It's a recipe knowns also in other countries :okay:
On this Sunday, my parents will come at our home for the Sunday lunch, I'll do again this fried milk..very appreciate!

Back
Top Bottom