Fried pasta?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
8:09 AM
This was a bit of an experiment. I was intending to make a raviolo stuffed with spinach and egg yolk. I was using shop bought fresh lasagne sheets which required soaking in boiling water for a minute. Well I found that even though I dried the sheets carefully, I couldn't make the edges of the raviolo stick together, so it would have been a disaster if I'd tried to cook it in boiling water. So I tried frying it in about 1/4 inch of oil - 2mins per side. I was quite surprised how the pasta sheets puffed up. The result was delicious, like pastry really and I seem to have judged the timing OK because the yolk was lovely and runny. Maybe I should have had the oil a little higher temperature so that the raviolo went a little more golden brown.

I was wondering if fried pasta is a 'thing'? I couldn't really find anything similar by Googling. I will certainly be experimenting further.

This was a bit of an experiment. I was intending to make a raviolo stuffed with spinach and egg yolk. I was using shop bought fresh lasagne sheets which required soaking in boiling water for a minute. Well I found that even though I dried the sheets carefully, I couldn't make the edges of the raviolo stick together, so it would have been a disaster if I'd tried to cook it in boiling water. So I tried frying it in about 1/4 inch of oil - 2mins per side. I was quite surprised how the pasta sheets puffed up. The result was delicious, like pastry really and I seem to have judged the timing OK because the yolk was lovely and runny. Maybe I should have had the oil a little higher temperature so that the raviolo went a little more golden brown.

I was wondering if fried pasta is a 'thing'? I couldn't really find anything similar by Googling. I will certainly be experimenting further.

View attachment 39663

View attachment 39662

View attachment 39661

It is in the US, especially ravioli. Served with marinara and sprinkled with PR. I've never tried it.

I think they usually lightly bread the ravioli with bread crumbs. Just Google "fried ravioli" and you'll see pictures and recipes.

When you are making stuffed pasta, you dampen the edges so it will stick together. I use water. Some use a light egg wash.

It is in the US, especially ravioli. Served with marinara and sprinkled with PR. I've never tried it.

I have eaten fried ravioli a few times. I like it. You have to eat it pretty soon after you fry it, or it gets chewy. Not a good appetizer to leave sitting out at a party.

CD

When you are making stuffed pasta, you dampen the edges so it will stick together. I use water. Some use a light egg wash.

Yeah - I know. I used egg wash but they wouldn't stick - something to do with the nature of this shop bought 'fresh' lasagne!

Re the breadcrumbs, I did see some of those images. What I thought was interesting though was the way the dough puffed up minus the crumbs. I couldn't find any references to frying pasta minus crumbs.

Back
Top Bottom