Makes about 10 Friselle, Preparation time 60 mins, Cooking time 45-50 mins

• 500 g of durum wheat flour or wholemeal flour
  • 250 ml lukewarm water
  • 10 g of salt
  • 50 ml Evoo
  • 10 g of brewer’s yeast
Preparation of the dough

Dissolve the yeast in lukewarm water.
Put the flour on a work surface and create a fountain.
and add the salt, stir and add everything to the flour a little at a time.
Knead vigorously for about 20 minutes until you get a smooth and homogeneous dough.

Divide the dough into equal parts and give it the shape of a doughnut and let it rise for about 40 minutes in a dry place, covered with a cotton cloth.

First baking:

After 40 minutes of rising, bake at 200° C for about 15 minutes.

Remove from the oven and leave to cool. Cut the doughnuts in half with a knife. Place them in a baking pan, with the cut inside facing upwards.

Second baking:

In the oven to 170° C for about 25-30 minutes.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Friselle will be crispy and ready to be seasoned and enjoyed.

Seasoning Friselle:

Fill a bowl with cold water.
Dip the friselle for about 20 seconds.
Take them out and season them generously with Evoo, a pinch of salt, then take the fresh tomatoes and crush them directly on the rough surface (or just cut them into pieces) and finally add another pinch of salt and a drizzle of oil on the tomatoes, sprinkle with a little bit of oregano and/or basil and/or olives.

Tip: We have used the yellow tomatoes from Piennolo - Vesuvio, and they fit very well, as well as the more classic red tomatoes of course!

Fascinating - its a basic bread dough but then twice baked into a 'dry' rusk as far as I can understand. I am tryng to imagine how the dipping for 20 seconds in cold water affects the texture.

This is a lovely pretty presentation :okay:

Fascinating - its a basic bread dough but then twice baked into a 'dry' rusk as far as I can understand. I am tryng to imagine how the dipping for 20 seconds in cold water affects the texture.

This is a lovely pretty presentation :okay:

Thank you!

Yep, basically a bread dough baked twice and trust me, it becomes like a rock, impossible to eat if you don’t soak it in water. Usually 20 seconds are enough and they become soft and very tasty

Back
Top Bottom