Frozen Ingredients: Good, Bad, or Indifferent?

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
9:18 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
My opinion of frozen ingredients (specifically vegetables) changed as my interest in cooking changed. For a long time, they were simply a convenience that I'd microwave and choke down. I was happy to eat frozen meals, after all, so this seemed like part of the same thing. As my tastes evolved, so did my opinion of frozen food. I made a point to avoid it at all costs, even if it meant delaying making something so I could buy the fresh ingredients I wanted.

And now? I appreciate that there are some frozen things that are perfectly good in certain recipes: spinach, corn, peas, and some other vegetables are better than canned, and just as good as fresh in stews and other preparations. Other things are okay in a pinch: my wife seems okay with frozen broccoli if it's prepared properly. I'd prefer not to use it, but it's not terrible if the other flavors are good (and mostly fresh).

Frozen meats? Unless there's simply no other way to get that particular meat, I avoid them. But, sometimes there's no option. And, of course, sometimes the "fresh" seafood you see at the supermarket was frozen after it was packed, then thawed at the supermarket before being put on display.

Frozen puff pastry and filo dough, of course, is how they're sold in the States

Anything I'm missing here? I'll skip adding a poll, and let you chime in.

About a year and a half ago celery became very expensive because of some craze in California for celery juice..It was over 5 dollars for a bunch here..I sourced out some canadian frozen celery for my soups..it is a lot cheaper, even now that people have come to their senses and the price has come down..I still buy it for many applications..it is also handy because at home, there are only two of us and sometimes we throw out old, rubbery celery..this way it is always available..if we have to have fresh, we get some, but otherwise it is good to use.

We keep frozen corn, peas and mixed diced frozen veges. I don't like frozen spinach simply because there are too many stems in them. I haven't bought frozen spinach in many, many years, maybe that has changed?

I don't mind frozen meat for the most part, especially chicken and the ground meats that we process ourselves. Now, if we are talking about something like dry aged beef or Wagyu or a heritage pork breed, then I want never frozen. We can get fresh shrimp and lobster at a decent price from the restaurant supply place, but I don't want to be going in there very often because it's a huge place and the lines can be very long, think Costco and Sam's. So, we'll often get a lot and freeze ourselves.

Great topic! Like you, my tastes have changed as I've become more familiar with various foods and how they are packaged. My mother outright refuses to give me any family recipes so I ended up having to do a lot of trial-and-error work through the years. My husband complained if I thawed something for dinner (but I did a test - I learned that he only complained when he saw a food wrapper in the trash can. He never complained if I took the trash out before he got home even if that meal was prepared from frozen meat or poultry). Looking back, I think he just wanted me constantly exhausted (and I was) which freed him up for his extra-curriculars.

When I found out I was pregnant I signed up for various groups to learn how to make baby food. We often ate non-organic and organic foods but I switched to all organic while carrying my two babies. I bought a breast pump and made ALL their food from organic fruits and vegetables. I continued with that until they each were about 2 years old, then introduced non-organic foods in moderation. I know this did them good because they've never been sick beyond the common cold. I used natural ingredients for their bubble baths and non-fluoride toothpastes. Both my kids will eat almost all vegetables (my son doesn't care for mushrooms) and will ALWAYS choose healthy food options over junk food.

So, after 20+ years, I'm divorced and live alone. I don't usually expend the energy to make everything from scratch although I didn't dive headfirst into microwave meals either. I usually have some kind of salad every day. My caregiver is also divorced so we prepare one meal per week and she has lunch with me. We cook together on days I'm up for it or she will go grocery shopping for me and set up individual containers for me to just heat and eat. I prefer that over store-bought microwave meals because we get to control the ingredients.

I don't notice a huge difference between frozen meat or poultry over fresh. I simply won't buy frozen chicken parts because WalMart packaged some leg quarters that were rotten (and wasn't noticeable until thawed). They were literally black on the inside. Had a similar incident with pork chops from the same WalMart. So, I either buy the non-frozen pork and chicken or I skip it. I've never had an issue with their frozen ground beef but only buy fresh beef roasts. We have no options for fresh fish at WM so I usually go to the local Mexican grocery store for that. Now, that I think about it, I definitely prefer fresh fish over frozen. I've recently found Steamables and like their frozen vegetables over cannned versions. Diced tomatoes are the only item I prefer canned/tinned now that I have no option for Trader Joe's or a Farmer's Market.

Beyond that, I will eat some ready-made frozen meals like Lean Cuisine or a pot pie but not much beyond that and that is maybe 5-6 times per year. I still have some throwback "guilt" about wasting food. Things were much simpler when I had a family because I knew somebody would eat whatever surplus I prepared. Now, I share meals with my caregiver which is nice because she shares with me also. She hates to cook (you do NOT want to hear her story about trying to cook meatloaf in a microwave when her kids were little. LOL) so I get an extra set of hands and a chance to get back in the kitchen.

P.S. Does anybody have any theories on why it's impossible to find fresh or frozen okra?

Oh, guess I should clarify. We don't buy meat that is already frozen or has been frozen. We buy fresh and then freeze ourselves.

Okra must be a regional thing. I saw some in the grocery when we went, fresh.

Great topic! Like you, my tastes have changed as I've become more familiar with various foods and how they are packaged. My mother outright refuses to give me any family recipes so I ended up having to do a lot of trial-and-error work through the years. My husband complained if I thawed something for dinner (but I did a test - I learned that he only complained when he saw a food wrapper in the trash can. He never complained if I took the trash out before he got home even if that meal was prepared from frozen meat or poultry). Looking back, I think he just wanted me constantly exhausted (and I was) which freed him up for his extra-curriculars.

When I found out I was pregnant I signed up for various groups to learn how to make baby food. We often ate non-organic and organic foods but I switched to all organic while carrying my two babies. I bought a breast pump and made ALL their food from organic fruits and vegetables. I continued with that until they each were about 2 years old, then introduced non-organic foods in moderation. I know this did them good because they've never been sick beyond the common cold. I used natural ingredients for their bubble baths and non-fluoride toothpastes. Both my kids will eat almost all vegetables (my son doesn't care for mushrooms) and will ALWAYS choose healthy food options over junk food.

So, after 20+ years, I'm divorced and live alone. I don't usually expend the energy to make everything from scratch although I didn't dive headfirst into microwave meals either. I usually have some kind of salad every day. My caregiver is also divorced so we prepare one meal per week and she has lunch with me. We cook together on days I'm up for it or she will go grocery shopping for me and set up individual containers for me to just heat and eat. I prefer that over store-bought microwave meals because we get to control the ingredients.

I don't notice a huge difference between frozen meat or poultry over fresh. I simply won't buy frozen chicken parts because WalMart packaged some leg quarters that were rotten (and wasn't noticeable until thawed). They were literally black on the inside. Had a similar incident with pork chops from the same WalMart. So, I either buy the non-frozen pork and chicken or I skip it. I've never had an issue with their frozen ground beef but only buy fresh beef roasts. We have no options for fresh fish at WM so I usually go to the local Mexican grocery store for that. Now, that I think about it, I definitely prefer fresh fish over frozen. I've recently found Steamables and like their frozen vegetables over cannned versions. Diced tomatoes are the only item I prefer canned/tinned now that I have no option for Trader Joe's or a Farmer's Market.

Beyond that, I will eat some ready-made frozen meals like Lean Cuisine or a pot pie but not much beyond that and that is maybe 5-6 times per year. I still have some throwback "guilt" about wasting food. Things were much simpler when I had a family because I knew somebody would eat whatever surplus I prepared. Now, I share meals with my caregiver which is nice because she shares with me also. She hates to cook (you do NOT want to hear her story about trying to cook meatloaf in a microwave when her kids were little. LOL) so I get an extra set of hands and a chance to get back in the kitchen.

P.S. Does anybody have any theories on why it's impossible to find fresh or frozen okra?

We get those wee frozen packs of veges for two ppl. Carrots broccoli corn beans etc in a microwave bags. 4 mins in the microwave and eat, really tasty as well.

Russ

Oh, guess I should clarify. We don't buy meat that is already frozen or has been frozen. We buy fresh and then freeze ourselves.

Okra must be a regional thing. I saw some in the grocery when we went, fresh.
Okra is available pretty much year round, huge Indian communities here in Christchurch. I don't like it btw.

Russ

I have been able to find fresh okra at certain times of the year in Michigan. It’s only at certain fresh produce markets, and certainly never at the supermarket. I once also saw a jar of pickled okra at the supermarket, in the discontinued area. It was great, and of course I never saw it again.

Anything I'm missing here? I'll skip adding a poll, and let you chime in.

Frozen fruits. For cooking, they are often better than what I can get fresh, because they are picked ripe and frozen right away. They are also great for fruit smoothies. You put them in the blender frozen.

As for meats, I buy fresh, vacuum seal, and freeze when I find a good deal. Meats freeze for six months, easily, if they are vacuum sealed. If there is no air, there is no freezer burn.

Frozen okra is ALWAYS in stock down here in Texas. Sliced and breaded frozen okra is also pretty much everywhere for deep frying. Good fresh okra is more seasonal.

CD

Frozen veg and fruit, no issue with that. The only meat I ever buy that's already frozen is chicken wings, and I still prefer unfrozen if possible.

I do freeze stuff after I buy it, especially now that I have a vacuum sealer. I've got sausages, meat patties, pork tenderloins, beef tenderloin, chicken parts, all frozen.

I also freeze soups and sauces, pizza dough, and bread (after its been baked) - always have plenty of bread for breadcrumbs and croutons.

Frozen veg and fruit, no issue with that. The only meat I ever buy that's already frozen is chicken wings, and I still prefer unfrozen if possible.

I do freeze stuff after I buy it, especially now that I have a vacuum sealer. I've got sausages, meat patties, pork tenderloins, beef tenderloin, chicken parts, all frozen.

I also freeze soups and sauces, pizza dough, and bread (after its been baked) - always have plenty of bread for breadcrumbs and croutons.
I forgot fruit..I use frozen berries every morning in a smoothie..Usually blueberries and a block of frozen spinach..

Back
Top Bottom