Frying an egg

Mark87

Local time
12:28 PM
Ok I can't for the life of me get my eggs to turn out. Iv stopped using frylight ( as posted in another thread) and now I'm using olive oil. I thought that would help but I guess me and frying pans don't get along lol. At first I thought I needed a new pan so I got a saute pan,it was the only one I could find with a lid. Thinking it would cook things better.i even got one of those rubber circle things to keep the eggs together. I hate frying stuff. I never know what heat to put it on and how long to leave the stuff on for and the amount of oil etc. I'm a walking nightmare lol!

Hi! Try using Pam. Chances are, that your eggs won't stick & should slide right out of the frying pan or skillet!! Just make sure that the pan is hot before you put the eggs in.

Spray the pan when you're about to add the eggs to it. :wink:

There is more than one way to fry an egg but I reckon the simplest is to cook it in a good non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Use a small frying pan if only cooking one egg.

Heat the oil in the pan until you can feel the heat if you hold your hand over the top. You don't want it spluttering.

Crack the egg into a saucer or small bowl and then slip the egg into the pan.

Wait until the white starts to set* and then use a teaspoon (I use a long handled teaspoon) to baste the top of the egg with hot oil, by tilting the pan slightly, scooping up some oil in the teaspoon and sprinkling the oil over the top part of the white until its set. This way, the yolk stays nice and yellow.

Then remove the egg with a slotted spatula and drain on kitchen paper. Pat the top with kitchen paper to absorb extra oil if you are watching calories.

The whole process should only take a few minutes.

* fresher eggs should keep a good round shape. The whites of older eggs will spread slightly but you can use the spatula to gather in the white as it cooks.

Last edited:
now I'm using olive oil.
and there lies your problem. Olive oil does not heat high enough to cook the egg properly. (the egg will often be really oily and take a while to cook). Use something like canola or sunflower oil and you will find the problem goes away. My hubby had exactly the same problem until I made him use sunflower oil for the fried eggs (or anything that involves cooking an egg using oil, such as an omelette or frittata.

I actually used to use sunflower oil to try eggs but went from Billy to jack about what is healthy and what's not. Different opinions from different folks. Im joining a different weight loss programme based upon the food pyramid next week so they might give me advice on oils etc. I'm just worried about my cholesterol as it has been slightly high in the past

I'm just worried about my cholesterol as it has been slightly high in the past
that comes from the egg (and any dairy/meat products you may eat) not from the oil using used to fry the products. Oil just adds calories. (I too am loosing weight at present after a lengthy hospital stay caused me to put over 10kgs on). Sunflower oil is OK. Canola oil has a bad reputation, but again it is OK. Olive oil (any form of it) is best not heated at all. Current reports are that is isn't good for your when it has been heated, but as with all of these things, it is best used in moderation. Today we will be told one thing about oils, tomorrow it will be another, and wait til the end of the year and what we have been told today is good for us, we will be told is now bad for us. So just work in moderation.
Personally I cook with (virgin) sunflower oil or canola oil, and use virgin or extra virgin olive oil cold. I do also use sunflower oil (virgin) and canola oil as well as coconut oil cold. But all of them are used in tiny amounts. they had loads of calories, shocking amounts. 10ml of any is around 100 calories and when you're dieting that is a massive number of daily allowance. But that said and despite my cholesterol being a tad high (my only source of saturated fats and cholesterol is from eggs - I have a large number of rescue chickens.) my doctor has told me that I need to increase my oil intake because of skin issues and dry eye issues (so I'm taking that in the form of linseed oil/flax seed oil in capsules).

I actually used to use sunflower oil to try eggs but went from Billy to jack about what is healthy and what's not. Different opinions from different folks.
Yep - the research is constantly changing and in truth I don't think we really know what is good for us or not....a lot of the received dietary wisdom we've been fed over the past decades was possibly based on very biased research. There is a view that cholesterol itself isn't bad, its the balance between good (HDL) and bad (LDL) cholesterol that we need to focus on, and that animal fats/products are not the huge evil they have been made out to be (note: I'm not a doctor so please do your own research on this and/or discuss discuss with your doctor if needed). We hardly use oil now - I mostly cook with animal fat (ghee, lard, duck fat etc.) and only very occasionally use olive oil for low temperature stuff only.

Im joining a different weight loss programme based upon the food pyramid next week so they might give me advice on oils etc. I'm just worried about my cholesterol as it has been slightly high in the past
If you're looking for a weight loss programme that works, without all the frills and gimmicks, then I can recommend https://www.weightlossresources.co.uk - it works by simply restricting your calories (which you log via an online diary) to meet the weekly weight loss target you set. So you can eat and drink what you want and as long as you are honest and stick to your calorie allowance you will lose weight. I've lost over 3 1/3 stone in the past year at a pretty steady 1lb per week. I have a code that will give you a 7 day free trial - PM me if you're interested.

There is more than one way to fry an egg but I reckon the simplest is to cook it in a good non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Use a small frying pan if only cooking one egg.

Heat the oil in the pan until you can feel the heat if you hold your hand over the top. You don't want it spluttering.

Crack the egg into a saucer or small bowl and then slip the egg into the pan.

Wait until the white starts to set* and then use a teaspoon (I use a long handled teaspoon) to baste the top of the egg with hot oil, by tilting the pan slightly, scooping up some oil in the teaspoon and sprinkling the oil over the top part of the white until its set. This way, the yolk stays nice and yellow.

Then remove the egg with a slotted spatula and drain on kitchen paper. Pat the top with kitchen paper to absorb extra oil if you are watching calories.

The whole process should only take a few minutes.

* fresher eggs should keep a good round shape. The whites of older eggs will spread slightly but you can use the spatula to gather in the white as it cooks.

That is how we do it, using veg oil.

Back
Top Bottom