Furikake

On my last visit to the local Asian Supermarket, I noticed that there were about a dozen (maybe more) types of Furikake. I found that very daunting. I didn't buy any, because I didn't know what to buy. I'd need to do some serious web searching before I decided to buy any.

CD

I've used it over the years as I have bonito flakes. I suspect you'll have to leave the dried fish out. There may be a product already catering to vegans, but it never occurred to me to look.

Its not so difficult to find in the UK and the ones I found don't have dried fish. There doesn't really seem to be a set 'recipe'.

This brand from Ocado has only a few ingredients:

This recipe includes directions for home-made Furikaki. Very easy to make: Furikake fries recipe

I've used it and togarashi, spelling?, on occasion, mostly with fish/seafood dishes.

I love it. I add it as a rice topper whenever I feel like it doesn't clash with the rest of the dish.
There are a few variations to your point caseydog and the basic is a mixture of seaweed and sesame seeds. My 3 favorite variations include wasabi, dried shrimp and kimchi flavor respectively.

Our household has tried several different brands of Furikake, but there is one clear winner

IMG_1075.JPG
IMG_1076.JPG

We have steamed White Rice at least once a day, and most time, it's topped with
Ajishima Foods brand of Nori Komi Furikake and Aloha brand Shoyu (Soy Sauce from Hawaii).
We like the Nori Komi because of the ingredients.

IMG_0711.JPG

Dinner, Japanese-style Fried Chicken aka Kara'age, with my Quick Cucumber Kim Chee (or kimchi, whatever)
and a big Rice Paddle of Rice and toppings.

IMG_0744.JPG

Breakfast too!

IMG_5650.JPG
IMG_5654.JPG

Even for a snack ... Spam® Musubi with a layer of Furikake MMM!
As we say in Hawaii, very ono, that's Hawaiian for delicious.

Back
Top Bottom