Recipe Gallurese (Sardinian) soup

MypinchofItaly

Forum GOD!
Local time
9:00 PM
Website
mypinchofitaly.co.uk
Zuppa-gallurese.jpg

Gallura is an area in the Northeast of Sardinia Island, well-known for La Maddalena Isles and the Costa Smeralda and it’s the area from which this soup takes its name.

Gallurese soup is a soup made with Carasau* bread, cheese and meat broth.

Carasau is a typical Sardinian bread made with durum semolina flour and water, composed by many thin and very crisp sheets, perfect to eat as snack, even seasoned with Evoo oil or used for soup and lasagna.

Gallurese soup has another main ingredient: broth made by sheep meat, but if you don’t have to hand a sheep, you can use a mixed meat broth ( beef, lamb or chicken as well). Same for Carasau bread, you can find it on line or you can use stale bread.

Ingredients (Serves 4, Preparation time 10 mins, Cooking time 20 mins + 2 hours for broth)
  • 1 lt. mixed meat and vegetables broth (lamb, chicken,beef or meat you prefer) 1 carrot, 1 celery stalk, 1 onion
  • 500 g. Carasau bread or stale bread
  • 200 g. grated Pecorino cheese
  • 205 g. Italian Caciotta cheese or Provolone cheese
  • A bunch of parsley to mince
  • 4 mint leaves
  • A pinch of salt
  • A pinch of powdered nutmeg
Method
  1. Prepare the broth boiling meat and vegetables in two liters of water for a couple of hours.
  2. Mince parsley, add in a bowl with grated Pecorino, a pinch of powdered nutmeg, a pinch of salt and mix them.
  3. Meanwhile prepare Carasau bread (or stale bread) and assemble it in the bottom of baking pan.
  4. Add the slices of Caciotta cheese to cover Carasau, put the minced parsley with Pecorino.
  5. You have to get at least 3 layers and lastly add 4 ladles of broth and wet Carasau both above and to the sides. On the surface put a little sprinkled of grated Pecorino and bake for 20 minutes at 180 ° C au gratin.

Last edited by a moderator:
@MypinchofItaly

To die and go to heaven for ! Absolutely outstanding ..

Thank you for posting ..

My paternal grandmother ( Italian bloodlines ) and my mother are great bread bakers .. I shall send them this récipe tomorrow !

I had this récipe several years ago on The Esmeralda Coast ..

@MypinchofItaly

To die and go to heaven for ! Absolutely outstanding ..

Thank you for posting ..

My paternal grandmother ( Italian bloodlines ) and my mother are great bread bakers .. I shall send them this récipe tomorrow !

I had this récipe several years ago on The Esmeralda Coast ..

I often eat this dish when I go to Gallura. I have to say that I'm not a fan of sheep meat, I prefer mixed meat broth for this soup, but anyway is very good.

Back
Top Bottom