Garbage to delicacy

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
9:59 PM
Your thoughts please.
What changes our perception of food? What turns garbage into a delicacy?
Just a few examples

crawfish
frog legs
Alligator
snails
raw fish
insects and grubs
weeds
strange sea creatures

The list goes on.

There are so many foods that are prized today as delicacies. In my lifetime some of those same foods were scorned or thrown away as garbage.

What changes our perception?

Your thoughts please.
Just a few examples

crawfish
frog legs
Alligator
snails
raw fish
insects and grubs
weeds
strange sea creatures

The list goes on.

There are so many foods that are prized today as delicacies. In my lifetime some of those same foods were scorned or thrown away as garbage.

Chitterlings, Liverwurst & Beef tongue.

Well, one thing can be a growth in popularity. Buffalo wings/hot wings/wings used to be dirt cheap, and before that, they were just thrown away as useless or used in stock.

Somebody deep fried them, tossed them in a little hot sauce and butter, and they catch on, and before you know it, they're expensive. Nothing much changed with the wing itself, but bar and restaurant owners realized that someone paying a little for stuff that was previously thrown out would probably pay a little more.

When the wife and I were dating, 30 years ago, hot wings were a whopping 10 cents each, at one of any number of bars in town. We didn't have much money, so we are a lot of wings.

Now, wings are like buying a gourmet burger, and ribs have followed a similar trajectory, I think. Ribs are really expensive now.

Lamb shanks we used to feed to the dog, now they are off the radar as they are way overpriced. I still buy them for slow cooking casseroles. Comfort food here.

Chicken livers were throw away until everyone discovered pate. I just bought some yesterday for pate. My son will be here in a flash when he finds out. $7 for a wee pottle.

Russ

Your thoughts please.
Just a few examples

crawfish
frog legs
Alligator
snails
raw fish
insects and grubs
weeds
strange sea creatures

The list goes on.

I believe that in some cultures, including mine, certain foods that someone else may find strange / disgusting, are perhaps to be found in the various historical periods of each country, from the need to feed themselves and from recovery, as well as from the availability or non-availability of certain foods that were sometimes substituted for those that would have been eaten, which then became delicacies and even tradition. Apart from the 'nothing is thrown away' discourse, then as in all things there are personal tastes, impressionability and ethics. In my opinion this changes perception.

Somebody deep fried them, tossed them in a little hot sauce and butter, and they catch on, and before you know it, they're expensive. Nothing much changed with the wing itself, but bar and restaurant owners realized that someone paying a little for stuff that was previously thrown out would probably pay a little more.

It does seem to be a mainly US thing. They are not much seen here. I've never really understood the attraction as there is so little meat on them!

Lobster and crab used to be a poor man's food. They were a byproduct of a fisherman's catch and their families ate a lot of lobster and crab.

I think it has to do with the internet and TV explosion of food shows in the last what 25 years or so, like when Food Network started. Chefs discovered some of these foods, liked them, started using them and their popularity took off. Remember, skirt steak, flank steak, ox tail, the various shanks weren't popular. Now, they are all popular and pricey.

Regular people have gotten more food conscious as well. I bet a lot of us would have never thought about eating some of the things we do now and would never have envisioned ourselves as foodies, wouldn't have even thought of the word foodie before Food Network and the Internet came along.

There's also the fact that a lot of foods are available now that just simply weren't years ago. You can get on the Internet and have cheese from France delivered to your door in the next day or 2. You can get Kobe beef the same way, plus a multitude of other products. The only stopping point is your pocketbook.

Last edited:
WAY back courageous European explorers ventured to unknown lands. When they returned they brought back unusual foods and spices.
Not the first European to visit China Marco Polo was the first to maintain a detailed record .
Early explorers of the Americas brought Maize (corn) to Europe.
The early settlers of the U.S. were taught by the Native Americans how to harvest and prepare crustaceans and other sea creatures that were prolific in the coastal marshes and bays.

The early settlers encountered sea creatures, mammals, fowl, fruits and vegetables unknown in Europe. Eating strange foods was a matter of survival .

Want is a great motivator for culinary experimentation.

In recorded history there was a time when salt was more valuable than the most precious metals or gemstones.

In the 80's there was a popular series of books by Jean Auel - Earth's Children series. It is set in prehistoric times when Neanderthals and the more modern Cro-Magnon man shared the earth. The books were at times tedious- a lot of "messin around " in the furs

I do give Ms. Auel credit for doing a lot of research and consulting with archeologist for as much historical accuracy as possible.

In that time summers were short, winter was long and brutal
Summers were spent hunting, gathering, processing and storing plants and animals in order to survive the winter.

I found it interesting to read how different parts of animals were processed and used. Plants frequently had both nutritional value and medicinal uses.

The advent of air travel definitely shrank the world and increased awareness and availability of the strange and unusual
As @medtran49 pointed out the internet has made the farthest reaches of the world as close as your local supermarket .

I do ramble. Sorry
I may be inspired to do research on the history of food.

Initially the motivation was survival. I once asked a group of vegetarians/vegans if they thought they could survive without eating meat/fish/fowl during times of exploration such as the Lewis and Clark expedition. To a person they all said they could have. I have my doubts about that. Don't believe there were enough cultivated crops at the time and you would be SOL if you ate the wrong wild plant.

Lewis and Clark were fortunate to have Sacagawea on their trip. The Native Americans were hunter gatherers. She knew which plants were useful as food and medicine
Lewis and Clark had all of the wild game they needed. Unfortunately most game is very lean and lacking in many essential nutrients. With out Sacagawea 's botanical knowledge they could have starved to death with full bellies. Your friends would not have survived because they lacked the botanical knowledge.
Early settlers and explorers were hunters but not gatherers. They came from agrarian cultures. They would have been hard pressed to survive without the help of the Native Americans.

Lewis and Clark were fortunate to have Sacagawea on their trip. The Native Americans were hunter gatherers. She knew which plants were useful as food and medicine

I knew nothing about this. Possibly my ignorance. So they had a native American woman to help them on their trip? A film should be made about that (I haven't checked, so maybe it has). I found this great image:

Detail_Lewis_&_Clark_at_Three_Forks.jpg

Apparently she gave birth on the trip and travelled with her child. Quite extraordinary! She tragically died very young...

Back
Top Bottom