Gardening in Winter

Local time
1:41 AM
Does anyone in colder climates let their garden outside die in the fall and plant a smaller scale one indoors, or move plants from an outside garden indoors into planters before freezing temperatures? My family has a decent sized garden for warmer months, and it is lovely to buy less produce. I haven't overly researched what we could possibly do in winter. I know planters are popular for herbs, but does anyone do more then that successfully?

There are plenty of veg and herbs that will survive winter and some that actually need the wintery months to get their flavour.

Sprouts, cabbage, kale, onions, leeks and garlic are the main ones. Sweetcorn/maize is another than can over winter. My parsley grows surprisingly well through winter as well and it is possible to grow a second crop of potatoes in time for Christmas as well, so there is no reason for toe veg plot to be dormant in winter.

I don't let anything die. Of course it helps that all of my plants are in containers, but there is a lot you can do to protect your perennial plants. Anything in a pot that is not cold hardy can be moved into a greenhouse. Anything not in a pot can be covered with a cloche, floating row cover, mini greenhouse, flower pots or other item suitable for the climate you're in.

I personally transplant and keep what I can indoors, because my winter is not mild. Temperatures can oftentimes go into the high negatives, freezing the soil down as far as three feet, effectively killing off most anything I have planted (because I generally am not planting below three feet)

Back
Top Bottom