Garlic Butter

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
6:07 PM
It's been quite a while since I had Garlic Bread and will be venturing to make some Garlic Butter in preparation.

Of course, Garlic Butter can be used for more than just Garlic Bread, so, it is worthwhile to make more than a few ounces of it.

Garlic Butter can be simply a combination of soft Butter and pureed or crushed Garlic, or it may include some extras, spices, etc.

What ingredients would you include in your Garlic Butter?

I've made it in various ways.

Parmesan cheese
Italian seasoning
Paprika
Lemon juice
Green onions
Parsley

Some of these ingredients make sense to me, Lemon Juice, Grated Cheese (Parmesan, Romano or Asiago) and perhaps, Italian Seasoning or something less combined. I might prefer Sweet Basil or maybe Dill.

Green Onion would be OK, if you like your Garlic Butter chunky. Parsley tends to lack a strong enough punch and Sweet Basil might be better applied. Paprika would not only add a sharpness, but also color the Garlic Butter.

Much has been said about softening Butter. I might add Olive Oil to Garlic Butter to turn that trick.

I might also look to a touch of Sour Cream for both softening and for a touch of flavor.

I was just thinking, Garlic Butter might be a good with a bit of Sweet Whey, recently discussed. That might also serve as a softening agent.

Usually, it's just butter, grated garlic, and finely chopped parsley when I make it.

That's traditionally correct. But I'm not exactly traditional or looking for traditional, except as a basis to be creative and do something different.

I'm dull: for garlic butter just the headline ingredients per se, no herbs or spices. I add quark to the butter (to reduce fat) when preparing boiled egg-butter mix for Karelian pies. If other spices are mixed with butter (in addition to garlic), we call it by another name. Butter mixes are sold in convenient pre-prep sticks here (these are from lieksan.fi/Lieksan Laatuherkut).

gar_1.jpg
gar_2.jpg
gar_3.jpg
gar_4.jpg

From left to right: 1. garlic butter (spices: garlic and sea salt), 2. herb-parsley butter (spices: parsley, rosemary, basil, oregano, thyme, marjoram, chervil, tarragon and sea salt), 3. grill butter (spices: tomato powder, paprika/bell pepper, black pepper, onion, garlic, dill, parsley, sugar, curry mix, bitter orange, white pepper, chives, cayenne pepper and sea salt), 4. sea salt-pepper butter (spices: paprika/bell pepper, black pepper, green pepper, garlic, white pepper, coriander/cilantro, sugar and sea salt).

I use flavored butter rarely, so it's rather easy to buy a stick and cut a sliver on top of a hot steak, fish fillet or escargots. Mostly I just melt regular butter on a skillet and add e.g. minced fresh sage (and fry for a minute) or fresh/dried dill when taken aside.

Last edited:
Chilli! Either ground chilli or finely chopped fresh chilli
Tarragon
Juniper
Lemon or lime zest
Grated fresh ginger
Coriander (cilantro)
Roasted fresh tomatoes (or you could use pre-prepared sun dried tomato)
I could go on...

Sorry if this has been said but the great thing about flavoured butter is that you can shape it into a log (use cling film to roll it up, twisting the cling film either end). Then you can store in the freezer and cut off what you need each time.

Chilli! Either ground chilli or finely chopped fresh chilli
Tarragon
Juniper
Lemon or lime zest
Grated fresh ginger
Coriander (cilantro)
Roasted fresh tomatoes (or you could use pre-prepared sun dried tomato)
I could go on...

Sorry if this has been said but the great thing about flavoured butter is that you can shape it into a log (use cling film to roll it up, twisting the cling film either end). Then you can store in the freezer and cut off what you need each time.
Self-made butter rolls have endless options regarding taste - and they lack the E-markings that are always present in pre-prep sticks...

Back
Top Bottom