Garlic powder & onion powder

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
11:19 AM
[Mod.Edit: This and following few posts moved to form a new topic (MG)]

An experimental casserole,very good, cooked around 1.30 pm, gone by 4 pm.

First layer is polenta cooked with bulgur, granulated garlic, thyme, second layer is leek fried with dry shallot (stems) and on top shred gouda and an egg. Kid did not want to try it.

Alongside a new batch of spanish rice, sausages for her.

In the evening a soy sauce garlic glass noodle soup. Cheese toast.

Apricots and raspberries.

A rare day of only 1 coffee and three black teas.
On my left eye I am getting a stye,so I used the black tea bags as warm compresses. It is day 4, it was very mild until this morning, I will email my doc, whether I need another cream, beside my mild herb one.

View attachment 67727

View attachment 67728

I did get all of the herbs and spices for Cajun.👍🤓 I could not find granulated onion after all,will use shallot instead.

View attachment 67729

View attachment 67725

View attachment 67726
Not able to find dried onion powder at all?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah - I made an assumption. Neither are easily available in the UK - particularly onion powder.

I still remember that recipe that stated "if you do not have garlic powder you could use fresh garlic".

Ah - I made an assumption. Neither are easily available in the UK - particularly onion powder.
That really surprises me. Both garlic powder and onion powder are probably in the "most common seasonings after salt and pepper" category here - I do believe I've even bought garlic powder at a gas station convenience store once.

That really surprises me. Both garlic powder and onion powder are probably in the "most common seasonings after salt and pepper" category here - I do believe I've even bought garlic powder at a gas station convenience store once.

It seems to be more of a tradition to use fresh garlic and onion. I only discovered the use of both through this forum and they are very handy store cupboard ingredients.

It seems to be more of a tradition to use fresh garlic and onion. I only discovered the use of both through this forum and they are very handy store cupboard ingredients.
I use dried a lot in spice rubs, where I don't want to potentially burn something fresh, but there are definitely times when I'm in a hurry and just grab the powder instead of chopping something fresh.

What about ginger powder? Do you have that?

It might be a North American thing. I've not seen too many spice combinations or recipes from other Countries that use either. As far as replacements for their counterparts only garlic powder is relatively close depending on the application, onion powder and ginger powder are meh. I put both in a flour blend and the wet marinade for cauliflower karaage. Don't use it anywhere else.

I've never really had trouble finding garlic or onion powder - Ocado sell both of them in powder and granule form. But if you have a large supermarket nearby with a world foods aisle then you can find them there - the East End brand is much better value than Schwartz etc. On the odd occasion I've only been able to get hold of the granule form....I just buy that and grind them up in the pestle & mortar myself.

I really like using dried garlic and onion for dry rubs and seasonings. I wouldn't use them a substitute for fresh garlic or onion though...I think they have a very different flavour to their fresh counterparts.

I'll use them in salad dressings sometimes.

Also, like MrsDangermouse, I don't buy onion powder any longer, I buy dried minced onion and when I need a little onion powder, I just grind it up. I've never seen garlic granules here, though.

We can buy onion powder, garlic powder and ginger powder here but only mail order.

Onion powder - c. £12.50/kg
Garlic powder - c. £10.00/kg
Ginger powder - c. £10.00/kg

But I've never had the need to buy any.

I'll use them in salad dressings sometimes.

Also, like MrsDangermouse, I don't buy onion powder any longer, I buy dried minced onion and when I need a little onion powder, I just grind it up. I've never seen garlic granules here, though.

Granulated garlic? That's what I use. I get Kirkland Granulated California Garlic from COSTCO. Great flavor.

CD

Back
Top Bottom