Recipe Garlic Prawns / Shrimp (Gambas Ajillo)

Francesca

Local time
7:07 AM
Prawns in a garlicy sauce with Esplette or Cayenne dried red pepper, are a classic Spanish Tapa. They are easily prepared and served in a shallow earthenware bowl called a cazuela, which is also a cooking vessel.
Some crusty bread to dip in the Evoo (extra virgin olive oil ) and a side of home made Ali Oli Mayonaise and a glass of White Wine, and you are all set for an amazing delight ..

GAMBAS20140905_154456.jpg

Ingredients:

1 Kilo of uncooked fresh prawns in season, peeled & de-veined
1 Teaspoon of Sea Salt, or Maldon Sea Salt
1/4 Cup Evoo
1 tablespoon of minced fresh garlic
1 small bay leaf
1 one inch dried red chili pepper ( you can seed if you wish )
1 tablsp. fresh minced parsley

Method
1) Place the rinsed drained and patted dry prawns in a bowl and sprinkle with sea salt and let stand 15 minutes.
2) Heat the Evoo in a médium sized earthenware or skillet over a médium flame / heat.
3) Add the garlic, bayleaf, and dried red chili pepper crushed and crumbled. Stir 1 minute.
4) Add the prawns and stir until cooked through about 3 minutes depending the size of your prawns.
5) Transfer to earthenware bowls or "cazuelas " and sprinkle with parsley ..

Serve with a Sparkling White wine of choice .. I suggest a Galician Albariño or Portugese Verdeho ..

Last edited:
Prawns in a garlicy sauce with Esplette or Cayenne dried red pepper, are a classic Spanish Tapa. They are easily prepared and served in a shallow earthenware bowl called a cazuela, which is also a cooking vessel.
Some crusty bread to dip in the Evoo (extra virgin olive oil ) and a side of home made Ali Oli Mayonaise and a glass of White Wine, and you are all set for an amazing delight ..

View attachment 8463

Ingredients:

1/4 Cup Evoo
1 small bay leaf

Method
1) Place the rinsed drained and patted dry prawns in a bowl and sprinkle with sea salt and let stand 15 minutes.
2) Heat the Evoo in a médium sized earthenware or skillet over a médium flame / heat.
3) Add the garlic, bayleaf, and dried red chili pepper crushed and crumbled. Stir 1 minute.
4) Add the prawns and stir until cooked through about 3 minutes depending the size of your prawns.

Serve with a Sparkling White wine of choice .. I suggest a Galician Albariño or Portugese Verdeho ..

I first discovered the delights of this dish in Fuerteventura many years ago whilst on holiday, and it has been a summer staple ever since. I have modified the recipe slightly to suit our tastes - using part Evoo and part butter, and by adding a generous squeeze of lemon juice for serving. I am now feeling very hungry.

I love a dish that highlights the undisputed star of the meal: the shrimp. But, I think my wife would be scared of the raw garlic, so I'd have to give it 30 seconds in the pan to caramelize before mixing in. I will definitely make this!

I love a dish that highlights the undisputed star of the meal: the shrimp. But, I think my wife would be scared of the raw garlic, so I'd have to give it 30 seconds in the pan to caramelize before mixing in. I will definitely make this!

@The Late Night Gourmet

Dear, there is no raw garlic in this classic Tapa !!

Read instruction number 3 ..

Have a lovely day ..

I first discovered the delights of this dish in Fuerteventura many years ago whilst on holiday, and it has been a summer staple ever since. I have modified the recipe slightly to suit our tastes - using part Evoo and part butter, and by adding a generous squeeze of lemon juice for serving. I am now feeling very hungry.

@epicuric

Definitely a drizzle of lemon could be very lovely .. I usually put a drizzle on all my sea creatures however, I did not mention.

This classic dates back to Antiguity .. It is served in almost every Bar in Spain and is particulary popular in Málaga, Cadiz, Huelva and the southern Atlantic Coast of Portugal and the 7 Canary Islands as well ..

Have a nice day .. Thank you.

@The Late Night Gourmet

Dear, there is no raw garlic in this classic Tapa !!

Read instruction number 3 ..

Have a lovely day ..
Sorry...you're right of course (steps 3 & 4 combine for ~4 minutes of cooking with the garlic). I've gotten so used to her picking out the garlic (and onion) in a recipe that I automatically roast it in oil at the start of any recipe that uses it. :laugh:

Sorry...you're right of course (steps 3 & 4 combine for ~4 minutes of cooking with the garlic). I've gotten so used to her picking out the garlic (and onion) in a recipe that I automatically roast it in oil at the start of any recipe that uses it. :laugh:

@The Late Night Gourmet

Enjoy !!!

You can use 1 teaspoon considering your Mrs.

And in another earthenware or Sauté skillet, make your 1 tablespoon and when you are serving the dish, in two separte Earthenwares, add the extra tablespoon of sautéed minced garlic in your earthenware !!! Problem solved ..

Thanks ..

View attachment 8463

Ingredients:

1/4 Cup Evoo
1 small bay leaf

Method

Adorei a sua reçeita... I know it's not spanish but portuguese :D...
Interesting the "cazuelas" because is similar to our Italian word casseruola or cazzuola...but hey, we are cousins :happy:

Adorei a sua reçeita... I know it's not spanish but portuguese :D...
Interesting the "cazuelas" because is similar to our Italian word casseruola or cazzuola...but hey, we are cousins :happy:

@MypinchofItaly

Yes, the clay dishes and clay cooking ware were originally Roman ! The Romans ruled Iberia for centuries .. Cazzuola = Cazuela .. And Cataluna was Greek and Roman ruled for a long time too ..

Yes, this is a very simple and very lovely Tapa .. It is easy and quick too ..

Thanks alot. Have a lovely weekend ..

Back
Top Bottom