Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
shrimp bowl.jpg

Prep Time: 10 minutes.
Cook Time:15 minutes.
Rest Time: Not needed.
Serves: 1.
Cuisine: Italian.
Leftovers: Yes, though I'd be tempted not to re-cook the shrimp, but serve it as a cold salad.

Garlic Shrimp Pecorino with Cabbage
  • 3.5 ounces / 100 grams shredded white cabbage.
  • Approximately 6 ounces / 175 grams small raw shrimp, de-shelled and deveined.
  • Pinch of salt (you can adjust later)
  • 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper (you can adjust later)
  • 2 tablespoons of a healthy cooking oil (again I use avocado oil)
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1 heaping teaspoon minced garlic (vary by your needs)
  • 1/8 cup / 30 mL dry white wine (preferred), or dry red wine (in a pinch), or chicken broth to which you add 1 teaspoon of vinegar (for alcohol-free).
  • 1/2 cup / 120 mL cream (ideally); or 1/2 cup / 120 mL buttermilk (which I used). Can be reduced-fat or whole fat.
  • 1.5 ounces / 40 g Pecorino Romano, freshly grated (or go for the Parmesan)
  • Fresh chopped parsley for garnish.
If your shrimp isn't peeled already, peel and devein it, removing the tail shell portion as well as you wish. Be sure to set up your mis in place as the cooking procedure goes quickly.

Pan fry the cabbage in the cooking oil for about three minutes, flipping often, at medium-high.

Add the salt and pepper to the shrimp, and toss. Then lay the shrimp out in the skillet, having moved most of the cabbage out of the way.

Remove the shrimp and cabbage from the skillet into a bowl, then return the skillet to the burner/hob. Add the garlic, stir for about 20 seconds, then deglaze with the wine. Allow much of this to evaporate, and reduce heat, before adding the cream. The cream WILL provide a more creamy texture to this than did the buttermilk. In both cases keep the heat low enough that this doesn't curdle.

Add the cheese, and stir until just melted.

Return the shrimp and cabbage back to the skillet, and stir until these items are coated, maybe a minute.

You can plate over the carb of choice, or serve with out any carb base. (I made farro cooked in homemade vegan broth, and served this atop that.)

Serve, adding parsley atop as desired. Serves one person quarantining home alone, or two if you make a side.

Back
Top Bottom