Gas or charcoal grill?

Charcoal gril all the way. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not a fan of gas cooking. Sure it gets the job done but when it comes to flavor, you are absolutely right about one thing. Charcoal grilled meat and other items just taste better, 'woodier' if I can invent a term. One can almost taste the smoke and fire, it gives it that bush flavor that makes outdoor cooking so much fun.

It's charcoal grill all the way for me...top with some pimento wood chips. The flavor that's acquire from this is next to no other.

My husband and I take the natural approach. We don't use either one. We use hickory chips. We do not believe in using lighter fluid. We use a natural more healthy approach to grilling our food. I mean when I was pregnant with one of my children I can remember being told by the doctor not to eat food cooked with charcoal or lighter fluid. This stuff cant be good for us.

We always use a charcoal grill. We prefer the taste of the food much better when it is done that way. We also have been cooking a lot of food over the open fire when we are camping. Food just seems to taste so much better when cooked outside. It has been many years since I used a gas bbq.

I also like using charcoal. I like to heat my environment whenever it is cold. Another reason being, we've used charcoal grills since we were young. So am used to it.

For grilling barbecue, it is always the charcoal for us. My father used to say that charcoal emits a certain flavor in the food so that charbroiled barbecue is more delectable than the oven-baked pot roast. Sometimes we grill whole chicken that we wrap in banana leaf. When the chicken starts turning brown, the aroma will be wafting the air such that the guests in the camp out would be watching and waiting until the chicken is cooked. Truly the charcoal is it.

Personally I prefer wood like cherry, oak or anything native you have in your country. The wood brings out a flavor and aroma that you won't get with gas but charcoal seems to work too. I use coconut shell charcoal which we have a ton out here in the Philippines. It's really good for adding a different taste to protein-based foods.

Where I live everyone uses propane bbq. I love to use gas simply because it is easier to turn on a propane/gas bbq than to go through the effort of lighting charcoal. I have to agree that I have had that lighter fluid experience before. I find that food tastes better off a gas grill than charcoal. Charcoal always reminds of camping. Gas burns cleaner and you get those lovely grill marks. Easy set up and easy cleaning.

i know this is an old post but ,being new here i just read it and wanted to put my 2 cents in
1st we need to clarify something, BBQing and grilling are two different animals,
BBQing is low and slow , grilling is hot and fast
the next thing i should tell you is that i used to own a BBQ joint
the subject often came up which was better charcoal or gas ......well at the time i just happened to own both, along with the smoker that i used for all my BBQing , so i decided to set up a blind taste test ....i cooked 10 chicken wings and 10 pork chops on charcoal and 10 of each of the propane grill then asked customers and freinds to try them and tell me which one was cooked on what ( i will say that i was very careful not to get a lighter fluid taste on the food cooked on the charcoal ) .the results were so completely mixed that it was clear as day that it made no difference when people had no idea what the food was cooked on , but if they knew something was cooked on the gas grill they would always say that they liked charcoal better ......it never failed ....lol
so don't even try to argue with me on this ......i have proved it !!!!

Back
Top Bottom