Gas or Electric?

missbishi

Veteran
Local time
12:19 PM
I've had an electric oven for years but recently moved to an apartment with a gas stove. I am finding it really hard to get used to it! Has anyone here had to switch and do you have any tips for me? I must say I prefer the gas hob, it is much easier to control the heat but I just cannot get to grips with the oven.

gas mark oven temperature can take a little getting used to, but unless you have one that is notched in the moving the dial sense, it is still available. Remember they come up to temperature much quicker and more easily and this is often visible by the flames reducing in size to a constant size.

Remember has mark 6 does not have to be the next level up from had mark 5... There are unmarked areas in between just the same as there are on an electric scale, so if had mark 6 is to warm and things are coming faster than expected, try gas mark 5 3/4's!

Also gas burns releasing water into the oven by its very nature, so you will find it less drying than an electric oven was which for some recipes could be great, for others it could be a major problem!

We are stuck with electric for both oven and hob. The hob is a pain as it means so many things are out. Can't use a wok can't really do a steak well plus with gas a pan can be tilted - not really possible on electric [not with much success]. The oven is OK BUT I've found it does tend to lose it's efficiency after while and the temp settings are no longer really accurate.

Hi missbishi.
Welcome to the forum.
Only once in my life have I had a gas oven but I would have one today if I could. I loved it that much.
The oven part I didn't find to be so much different from the electric, as whenever you get a new oven of any kind it seems you have to become familiar with that particular oven--does it run hotter than your previous one, etc.? I know I did like the way it baked, though. Can't say why. It just seemed to do a better job than an electric.
And I'll take cooking on a gas range (the "hob"?) any day of the week over electric. I'm betting you'll find yourself loving yours in no time at all, even if I am unsure that gas ovens in the US are quite the same as the ones in the UK.
Actually, even though I haven't had a gas oven in my home for many years, I do have one in my camper. I tend to forget about that, though I don't quite know how. I use the thing every time I go to horse camp, which most times of the year is often. It's not natural gas, of course; but propane. Works the same way--just smaller.
And yes, I love cooking on it, though I usually only use it for making breakfast.
Did I say welcome to the forum?

I grew up with a gas stove and had one when we were first married, but our current home has electric and I abhor it. You read that right, hate is not nearly a strong enough word for my feelings on the thing. If we get a decent tax return this year I am finally, after 5 years, getting a gas stove again. I hope we can squeeze out a new ventahood too because ours is making really strange noises!

I prefer gas, because I feel I can regulate the temperature on the burners much better. I had a gas stove a few times in the past, but I am quite frankly scared of them. When the pilot light goes out, there is a chance the gas can kill you. I was grateful in the winter of 2007, however, when I had a gas stove. We had over two inches of ice, and the electricity went out for three days. Since I had electric baseboard heat, the gas stove was my only source of heat.

I grew up with a gas stove and had one when we were first married, but our current home has electric and I abhor it. You read that right, hate is not nearly a strong enough word for my feelings on the thing. If we get a decent tax return this year I am finally, after 5 years, getting a gas stove again. I hope we can squeeze out a new ventahood too because ours is making really strange noises!

Ally, I read it right? You abhor it? I grew up with gas but I have been using electric for more than 20 years now. My only concern is when the electricity goes off and once I have my generator back up and running that won't be a problem. Fortunately, I also have some sort of natural gas in the basement but I never really use it. Somehow the electric stove has worked for me over the years.

Initially, I did think it was going to be a challenge but I have become quite comfortable using electric. When I have been cooking elsewhere and using gas, it takes some getting used to but seeing the flames is still "cool".

I am still curious as to why you "abhor" the electric cooking Ally79.

I was delighted to move into an apartment with a gas cooker, after years of using electric stoves. It costs less to cook on gas and it's easier to control. I also think I get better results from grilling by gas than I did from using an electric grill.

I have always had gas oven/stove tops but currently have electric and I prefer the gas as I feel it is easier to control the temperature as the flame is a good indication of settings. Lately I have been using the nuwave induction oven and nuwave induction stove top, they are electric but are great at getting accurate temperatures and maintains accurate temperatures. The downside is that you have to use the pots and pans specifically for them so I need to get some larger pots. They were a gift from someone who bought them at a buy one get one free with additional shipping and handeling charges for the free one. I probably would not have bought them but I think they are great appliances.

over the years i have never really been a fan of gas . i always rather prefer to do my cooking with electric cookers

Back
Top Bottom