Gas or Electric?

Yes, gas is definitely cheaper. I'm glad I have the gas stove and heat for that reason, as well. I salivate when I watch cooking shows and they have beautiful new big gas stoves, especially the ones with the grills built in. It would make life easier to be able to grill directly on the stove. I have grill pans, but it's just not the same.

@missbishi I'm not familiar with the term hob, but it sounds as if that's the burners on top. I wasn't aware there were appliances with gas stovetops and electric ovens, that sounds interesting.
There is also another combination which I what I have. Gas ring, Gas over, but an electric grill! I wouldn't mind, but the grill is not even separate to the oven, just at the top of it! I nearly set the house on fire yesterday when trying to turn the oven off, I managed to turn the grill on (it is an on/off grill with no in between) and didn't realise I had done so. It wasn't until the fire alarm started bleeping at me that I went back into the kitchen and felt the heat from the grill....

Right now in my home it's both an electric stove and electric oven. I used to say I preferred gas but these days I've been used to electric for so long that it doesn't really bother me. I've learned to control it as much as I can and everything cooks just fine.

I grew up and saw my grandmother and mother using a gas stove in our house. And now that I am married already and have my own family I am also using the same kind of cooking appliance. I have not tried using an electric stove but we have one in our house. I am more contented and have no worries when I am using a gas instead of an electric stove.

I was never satisfied with induction cooking. For me it takes a long time before the utensils heat up and the food that I am cooking does not seem to be cooked properly. I felt there is always something missing which is why I would choose to use gas over electric.

I prefer an electric oven.
It's just what I'm used to though. I didn't really start cooking regularly until I moved out of my parents house, and our apartment came with electric.
My parents have a really nice gas range at home but I have a hard time using it because it just cooks differently, especially on the stove top.
I used to work in a restaurant kitchen that had an ancient gas range that needed to be lit with a match, it was so scary!

Gas if possible [we're stuck with electric]. How do you use a wok or really sear a steak with electric ? Second if you tilt the pan to fry your eggs it doesn't really work with electric.
PS not wanting to turn this into some sort of yeh / nay fracking thing but here in county Durham the old coal mining left the ground literally honeycombed with hundreds [probably thousands] of tunnels most now long lost / flooded / slowly collapsing. The same is true for many of the UK coal fields. These tunnels were never filled with anything - just abandoned, and I suspect the same situation might have occurred in the US so really what's the difference ?

I prefer cooking with gas. I don't know but food cooked on a gas cooker has a clean taste to it. Maybe all in my mind but that has me going for gas all the time.:facepalm:

I have gas hobs, but an electric oven and grill. Well, usually I do, but that is at home and home is under repair. My temporary home has all gas, supplied by a large canister sitting outside. I live in constant hope that it will not blow us off the face of the earth.

My family prefers gas stoves because then we can roast a lot of food in the oven but I lived with an electric stove for 4 years when I was in college because they don't allow gas stoves in our building. What I don't like about electric stoves are the time it takes to cook something, mine was broken too so it took longer but I like how easy to clean electric stoves are. I prefer gas stoves though just because I want to see the fire.

I was born and raised on an electric stove that was the fashion during that time. But when I was in college, my father bought a cooking range using LPG (liquefied petroleum gas). My mother said that the electric stove is getting expensive because the electric company had raised the rate. The only problem with LPG is the gas tank that is heavy. But in the long run, the gas stove proved much better because with fire, the heat is greater and faster to cook.

For a brief while, while serving as a VSO volunteer, I had a kerosene stove. The thing was horrendous - it belched out noxious plumes of black smoke, stank the house out and threatened at times to give you an eyebrow trim to beat all eyebrow trims. I gave up on it in the end and bought a little electric stove. Not that this was much of an upgrade; the device would never have passed any kind of health and safety test in the UK and gave me a few jolts (and volts), but at least it didn't fill the house with poisonous fumes or a horrific stench.

The other night we cooked grilled chicken for dinner. Our gas stove has an oven (fire at the bottom) and griller (fire at the ceiling). We have been using the oven so many times and the griller as well. But this time, the griller seemed to emit an invisible smoke that hurts our eyes. We cannot define what was that gas and it's smell is like chemical. I remember when the tech was testing our griller and I pointed it out to him about that odor, the tech said it is normal since the stove was new (that was last year). Now I have to call the dealer for a checkup.

Back
Top Bottom