'Gay cake' appeal: Firm argued that the cake's message was against the bakers' religious views.

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
8:24 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
'Gay cake' appeal: Christian bakers Ashers, a Northern Irish bakery, have lost their appeal against a ruling that their refusal to make a "gay cake" was discriminatory.

Appeal court judges said that, under law, the bakers were not allowed to provide a service only to people who agreed with their religious beliefs. Two years ago, the family-run firm refused to make a cake saying: "Support Gay Marriage". The firm argued that the cake's message was against the bakers' religious views.

Where do you think this stands in this day and age?
Do you agree that they should serve everyone equally?
Or do you think they should be allowed to honour their belief?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-37748681
And the court papers http://www.courtsni.gov.uk/en-GB/Ju...nt - Lee v Ashers Baking Co Ltd 24 Oct 16.htm

I find it quite upsetting that the courts have nothing better to do than argue about this type of trivia.

The courts are forced to argue it because the two sides could not work out ourbetween themselves out of court.

Northern Ireland and Ireland can be very backward in their views (rather like Australia) at times and I know the issues with the IRA have not disappeared, they have just gone below the surface yet again. they will stay there for a while before erupting again when the rest of the UK (which is now GB if you remove NI from the equation) are least wanting or needing it.

But from the topic at hand, this is a country that still thinks it fine to force a child who had been raped and is now pregnant, to have to go through with the pregnancy because of religious beliefs. So this sort of thing hardly surprises me.

Last edited:
Gay marriage is still banned in Northern Ireland, so some might say that this case is useful because the courts have concluded that the bakery were wrong to refuse to make a cake supporting gay marriage despite the fact that gay marriage is illegal!

Personally, I would use a different bakery.
No telling what they might put in the cake.
Longer answer later.

Back
Top Bottom