Recipe George's "Secret" recipe for Red Fish Sauce Picante

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
2:05 AM
Well guys and gals - here it is.

fish2.jpg

Ingredients

*2 - 3 lbs. Red Fish or other firm fleshed fish - fileted, pin bones removed and cut into 2" chunks
1 large yellow onion - chopped
3 cloves garlic - smashed and minced
2 stalks celery diced
1/2 green bell pepper cored and diced
1/2 jalapeno pepper cored and minced
1/2 Tsp. red pepper flakes
2 TBSP. vegetable oil
1 large lemon cut into 1/4" slices
2 bay leaves
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes with liquid
1 14.5 oz. can whole tomatoes chopped with liquid
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
**Cajun/Creole seasoning
Sea Salt if needed

Method

Pat fish dry and season with Creole/Cajun seasoning

In a heavy bottomed sauté pan heat oil.
Add onions and celery - sauté until tender
Add peppers - cook 1 or 2 minutes
Add garlic - cook until just fragrant
Add tomatoes with liquid, bay leaves and lemon slices. Cook covered over a medium heat 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
Add tomato paste - cook for 15 minutes
Reduce heat to simmer.
Add seasoned fish and parsley. Cover the fish with the sauce.
Simmer, covered for 20 - 30 minutes.

Taste - adjust salt if needed.

Serve in a bowl with bread to sop up the sauce or over long grain white rice.

*A firm fleshed fish is needed. A delicate, flaky fish will fall apart.
**Any Cajun/Creole seasoning. A low/no sodium mix gives you more control of the salt. George used a full sodium mix - it was not too salty. No additional salt was needed.

So there - it took your interest to get the recipe from him.

Last edited:
Congratulations George & @ElizabethB,

Just made a note of the recipe and shall see what my family boat brings in tomorrow from the Northern Costa Brava - Marseille Coast ..

Definitely amazing ..

Cajun - Creole Seasoning: There is a North American Department at our major supermarket called El Corte Ingles and they have this seasoning as does a small shop called Taste of America, which is owned and operated by two Americans who started this shop in Madrid in the 1990s and expanded to Barcelona .. However, El Corte Ingles, a department store ( 10,000 square feet ) has a large and more reasonably priced selection of foods spanning the seven oceans ..

Thanks for posting ..
Have a lovely weekend ..

Well guys and gals - here it is. <SNIPPED> So there - it took your interest to get the recipe from him.

Not a secret any more.:happy: It just looks so delicious. I have a monkfish tail in the freezer which I think would work well. This could be my Christmas Eve dish. I reckon I can make my own Creole seasoning if I look it up.

Congratulations George & @ElizabethB,

Just made a note of the recipe and shall see what my family boat brings in tomorrow from the Northern Costa Brava - Marseille Coast ..

Definitely amazing ..

Cajun - Creole Seasoning: There is a North American Department at our major supermarket called El Corte Ingles and they have this seasoning as does a small shop called Taste of America, which is owned and operated by two Americans who started this shop in Madrid in the 1990s and expanded to Barcelona .. However, El Corte Ingles, a department store ( 10,000 square feet ) has a large and more reasonably priced selection of foods spanning the seven oceans ..

Thanks for posting ..
Have a lovely weekend ..

@ElizabethB

Shall do .. Thank you very mich .. Shall do my "homework" !!!

Have a lovely evening .. and weekend ..

@morning glory

I have heard of monk fish but have never eaten it or seen it. I looked it up. That is one UGLY fish! No intent to degrade the quality of the flesh. It must be very good since it is referred to as "Poor Man's Lobster". Interested to hear what you think.

@morning glory

I have heard of monk fish but have never eaten it or seen it. I looked it up. That is one UGLY fish! No intent to degrade the quality of the flesh. It must be very good since it is referred to as "Poor Man's Lobster". Interested to hear what you think.

Monkfish is indeed an ugly fish. But the tail is firm fleshed and delicious. Not cheap. Yes - a little lobster like. I will certainly report back and post photos when I cook this recipe.

@ElizabethB

Monkfish is astoundingly amazingly delicious .. It is a delicacy .. And yes, it has been referred to as: " The poor man´s Lobster " ..
It is very common in Spain and the head is often used to prepare fish stock for Paellas .. It is often found in Boulaibiasse in Marseille too .. It is very common in our part of the Mediterranean.

It is not a North American variety to my knowledge.

Have a lovely day ..

Last edited:
@morning glory

I'm not sure whether or not it would work in George's excellent recipe. It is not an easy fish to cook (I failed expensively this week) being quite rubbery, not unlike a scallop in texture. It works well when cooked like scampi, but I have no idea how it would stew. It certainly wouldn't be flakey like cod or haddock.

I'm not sure whether or not it would work in George's excellent recipe. It is not an easy fish to cook (I failed expensively this week) being quite rubbery, not unlike a scallop in texture. It works well when cooked like scampi, but I have no idea how it would stew. It certainly wouldn't be flakey like cod or haddock.

I use monkfish a lot, so I'm quite confident about cooking it. I'd probably reduce the cooking time of the fish a little. I often curry it. :D

I use monkfish a lot, so I'm quite confident about cooking it. I'd probably reduce the cooking time of the fish a little. I often curry it. :D
I think last time I burnt it on the outside but left it undercooked in the middle. It didn't make for a pleasant eating experience. When the memory has faded and I buy it again I shall ask for tips!
I had more success with monkfish cheeks - tempura battered and deep fried.

@epicuric

Monk fish cheeks or better yet, wild cod cheeks or "neck glands" is called "Ko ko txas" in Basque, pronounced " Ko ko chas " are a delicacy in The Basque Country of Spain and all major cities throughout Spain. Normally cod fish is used or hake called Merluza in Spanish. They are sautéed with Evoo, fresh parsley, salt and pepper, a drizzle of a Basque White wine called Txacoli ( pronounced Cha ko lee ) and a clove of garlic ..

Sort of like " Francese " style .. They are incredibly delicious and go for approx. 25 Euros for a main course a la carte ..

My husband and I share them for a tapa ..

Have a lovely holiday ..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom