Recipe German Spinach

cookieee

Local time
6:17 PM
While looking through my recipes from Germany for the alphabet game, I came across this recipe. Simple and easy and going in our "make soon" folder.

German Spinach

1 lb. fresh spinach
8 slices bacon
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
3 TB. vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt
dash pepper
2 hard-cooked eggs, coarsely chopped

Clean spinach, leave water clinging to leaves and place in a saucepan with no water added. Steam 8 to 10 minutes over medium heat. Drain.

While spinach is steaming, cook bacon till crisp. Drain on paper towel. Reserve 1 TB. bacon fat. Cook onions in fat until tender. Add onion, crumbled bacon, vinegar, salt and pepper to spinach. Toss. Top with chopped eggs. Serves 4

Last edited:
I love spinach and it does go very well with bacon and with eggs. The vinegar surprises me a bit here - I wonder how that tastes in the dish? I assume this is a recipe for 4? Or 2?

I love spinach and it does go very well with bacon and with eggs. The vinegar surprises me a bit here - I wonder how that tastes in the dish? I assume this is a recipe for 4? Or 2?
My first reaction, too, was that this is a massive amount of vinegar. But, then again, a pound of spinach is a LOT of spinach...about 10 cups worth when fresh. And, then there's all that bacon, and the eggs, plus the onion.

Then again, I think I would add the vinegar a tablespoon at at time...you do have that luxury, since it's stirred in at the end.

Back
Top Bottom