2 lbs kraut with liquid
1 lbs boiling onions peeled, ends removed
1-1/2 lbs spareribs, membrane removed and cut into two rib sections
1 lb brats or other German style sausages
2-3 large carrots, peeled and chunked
1 large sweet onion, large dice
1-2 cloves of garlic, smashed and peels removed
1 lb whole new potatoes, your choice, rinsed
1-2 stalks celery, rinsed and chunked (optional)
Vegetable oil
Caraway seeds to taste
Bay leaves*
Juniper berries*
whole black pepper corns*
Chicken stock and/or beer
S&P

*I put these into a little cloth bag we have for pickling beef or you can use cheese cloth. I purposely didn't put amounts, that is up to you.

Note: My grandmother would also use a small head of green or red cabbage, quartered, stem left intact.

Directions:
Heat a large Dutch oven size pot over medium-high. Add a couple tablespoons of oil. Brown the sausages and remove. S&P the ribs and brown them in the pot and remove. Add diced onions and celery (if used). Saute until veges are soft. Add the garlic and saute until fregrent. Deglaze the pot with chicken stock and/or beer. Bring to a simmer and add the kraut. Return the meat to the pot, add caraway seeds and spice bag. Cover pot and bring to a simmer. You will be adding the other vegetables in order of cooking time, adusting liquid as needed to cover. When the last vegi is cooked through, adjust seasonings and serve using a slotted spoon or spider. Serve mustard(s) and horseradish on the side along with a good dark rye bread if you like. You can add other pork products if you like, just brown at the beggining.

Back
Top Bottom