Getting Enough Protein- when you don't eat meat

Mockingbird

Veteran
Local time
2:03 AM
I have been grappling with a problem for a few months now and I hope that maybe someone here might have an answer. I started weight training back in June and one of the things that came up was the level of protein in my diet. Overall I have a great diet, the problem is I don't eat meat so my protein levels are low, even though I ingest a huge amount of nuts and eggs.

I added a protein supplement, this one is hemp based and it helps but it is still to low.( My trainer said rule of thumb 50% of body weight so if I am 100 lbs the protein should be 50g.) I have read some accounts that say less. I need about 147g I come in at about 90g according to most calculators. What else besides nuts, egg and beans works? Is there a better supplement type?

What is wrong with nuts eggs and beans by themselves? And 147g of protein would be putting your weight at around 300lb? I think you may have misread the figures... The ones I am reading state
When we make a few adjustments to account for some plant proteins being digested somewhat differently from animal proteins and for the amino acid mix in some plant proteins, we arrive at a level of 0.9 gram of protein per kilogram body weight (0.41 grams per pound).

They have huge amounts of protein in them and some have more than meat. There are many, many types of beans, lentils and nuts that can add variety to your diet. And you only mention you don't eat meat, not that you are vegan, so you need to factor in dairy which had a considerable source of protein as well.

A quick idea from this website will give you an idea of vegan protein sources.
Tempeh - 41 g per cup
Lentils – 18 g per cup
Plain soymilk – 11 g per cup
Edamame – 20 g per cup
Seitan – 19 g per 3 ounces
Tofu – 20 g per 1/2 cup
Peas – 9 g per cup
Brown rice – 5 g per cup
White rice – 4 g per cup
Cooked broccoli – 4 g per cup
Sunflower seeds – 6 g per 1/4 cup
Quinoa – 9 g per cup
Cooked spinach – 5 g per cup
Avocado – 4 g per cup
Whole grain bread – 7 g in 2 slices
Black beans – 15 g per cup
Cashews – 5 g per 1/4 cup
Cooked semolina pasta – 8 g per cup
Chia seeds – 5 g per 2 tablespoons
Flax seeds – 4 g per 2 tablespoons
Bulgur – 5.5 g per cup
Peanut butter – 8 g per 2 tablespoons
Sunflower seed butter – 5.5 g per 2 tablespoons
Baked red potato – 3 g per cup
Barley – 3.5 g per cup

A sample menu gives another idea.
Table 1: Sample Menus Showing How Easy It Is To Meet Protein Needs
Protein (grams)
Breakfast:
1 cup Oatmeal 6
1 cup Soy Milk 7
1 medium Bagel 10
Lunch:
2 slices Whole Wheat Bread 7
1 cup Vegetarian Baked Beans 12
Dinner:
5 oz firm Tofu 12
1 cup cooked Broccoli 4
1 cup cooked Brown Rice 5
2 Tbsp Almonds 4
Snack:
2 Tbsp Peanut Butter 8
6 Crackers 2
TOTAL 77 grams
Protein Recommendation for Male Vegan 63 grams

I do a lot of exercise, not body building but cycling covering 150-200 miles a week. I also spent 12 months in the roast attempting to cycle around the world and never had issues with the amount of protein I was getting, only the calorie intact was the issue, we lost a lot of body fat and weight with it.

Other sources give this

Dietary sources of protein and the essential amino acids
The protein content of plant origin foods such as nuts, peas and beans (including peanuts) is very high and rivals that of meat and fish. Some vegetarians include eggs and/or dairy products as part of their protein intake. Cheese has similar levels of protein to meat and fish by weight, whilst egg is regarded as the perfect protein food for its ideal balance of amino acids.

Whether dairy products and/or eggs are included in our diet, plant foods provide a major part of protein intake. Pulses, such as quinoa, can form the basis of many types of meals and soya products such as milk, tofu, miso or ready made products like burgers and sausages are probably the most versatile source of protein. Nuts can be incorporated into breakfast and sweet or savoury dishes providing an energy-dense source of protein. QuornTM is a form of myco-protein – an edible fungus - and is sold in a range of different forms from mince to fillets.

Everyday foods that are normally regarded as carbohydrates such as rice and grains, pasta, breakfast cereals and bread contain significant amounts of protein and can play an important part in your intake. For example, 100g of wholemeal bread contains 9.4g of protein. Potatoes eaten in quantity also provide useful amounts of protein

Another interesting website is this one
www.vegancoach.com/foods-with-protein.html

What is wrong with nuts eggs and beans by themselves? And 147g of protein would be putting your weight at around 300lb? I think you may have misread the figures... The ones I am reading state

They have huge amounts of protein in them and some have more than meat. There are many, many types of beans, lentils and nuts that can add variety to your diet. And you only mention you don't eat meat, not that you are vegan, so you need to factor in dairy which had a considerable source of protein as well.

Tempeh - 41 g per cup
Lentils – 18 g per cup
Edamame – 20 g per cup
Tofu – 20 g per 1/2 cup
Peas – 9 g per cup
Brown rice – 5 g per cup
White rice – 4 g per cup
Quinoa – 9 g per cup
Avocado – 4 g per cup
Bulgur – 5.5 g per cup
Barley – 3.5 g per cup

Protein (grams)
Breakfast:
1 cup Oatmeal 6
1 cup Soy Milk 7
1 medium Bagel 10
Lunch:
Dinner:
5 oz firm Tofu 12
1 cup cooked Broccoli 4
2 Tbsp Almonds 4
Snack:
2 Tbsp Peanut Butter 8
6 Crackers 2
TOTAL 77 grams

I do a lot of exercise, not body building but cycling covering 150-200 miles a week. I also spent 12 months in the roast attempting to cycle around the world and never had issues with the amount of protein I was getting, only the calorie intact was the issue, we lost a lot of body fat and weight with it.

Other sources give this

The protein content of plant origin foods such as nuts, peas and beans (including peanuts) is very high and rivals that of meat and fish. Some vegetarians include eggs and/or dairy products as part of their protein intake. Cheese has similar levels of protein to meat and fish by weight, whilst egg is regarded as the perfect protein food for its ideal balance of amino acids.

Whether dairy products and/or eggs are included in our diet, plant foods provide a major part of protein intake. Pulses, such as quinoa, can form the basis of many types of meals and soya products such as milk, tofu, miso or ready made products like burgers and sausages are probably the most versatile source of protein. Nuts can be incorporated into breakfast and sweet or savoury dishes providing an energy-dense source of protein. QuornTM is a form of myco-protein – an edible fungus - and is sold in a range of different forms from mince to fillets.

Everyday foods that are normally regarded as carbohydrates such as rice and grains, pasta, breakfast cereals and bread contain significant amounts of protein and can play an important part in your intake. For example, 100g of wholemeal bread contains 9.4g of protein. Potatoes eaten in quantity also provide useful amounts of protein

Great post and you summed it all up. I really can't add much to this one, but I will say that we as a whole have fallen into the protein trap, and many people think you can't get protein from plants, this is not true. I use spruillina, and Moringa leaf, which are excellent sources of protein. I also eat most of the items on your list.

What a fantastic post Satnav! Thank you very much for this, I don't know how I missed this.

To answer your question, yes I originally weighed in at 275 lbs when I started training in 2010, I have lost 84 lbs and I am still trying to get down to my ideal weight which is about 145lb. I do weight training and Zumba, I eat as much organically as I can, no gluten if I can manage it, no artificial anything. I work with a personal trainer and a doctor both. My protein target, and other targets like caloric intake come from the trainer and doctor. For woman especially losing weight even a controlled loss should be monitored if you are considered obese. Things happen when you burn off fat stores, many toxins are trapped in fat.

I weight train four times a week at intervals of an hour and half each. I easily press my body weight for legs and a pretty respectable amount as a female for arms and back. I do a ton of cardio, about 1/2 hour each sessions. Any athlete that is doing a rigorous workout needs to eat a higher percentage of protein here is an excerpt from Bodybuilding.com on protein requirements.

"People who just exercise and do not diet should aim to consume somewhere around 0.8-1 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight daily.
If you're dieting and exercising, aim higher—between 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of your bodyweight per day. As your caloric intake decreases, your protein needs will actually increase, so keep that in mind as you plan out your diet."

When you exercise your body should burn fat, if you do not have adequate protein in your diet your body will burn the lean muscle first not fat. You will not see the results physically you should. The protein is your energy, it also helps you repair the muscle you are ripping. That's how you build strength.

This is an interesting list. I've been called upon to identify some food wherein protein can be found and this is quite useful. Some who is suspected of having Chrohn's disease has been to look and the diet and include most if not all of the things that are listed here. I see one or two things I am not familiar with but nothing a little research can't sort out. Very useful information indeed.

Tempeh - 41 g per cup
Lentils – 18 g per cup
Edamame – 20 g per cup
Tofu – 20 g per 1/2 cup
Peas – 9 g per cup
Brown rice – 5 g per cup
White rice – 4 g per cup
Quinoa – 9 g per cup
Avocado – 4 g per cup
Bulgur – 5.5 g per cup
Barley – 3.5 g per cup

Protein (grams)
Breakfast:
1 cup Oatmeal 6
1 cup Soy Milk 7
1 medium Bagel 10
Lunch:
Dinner:
5 oz firm Tofu 12
1 cup cooked Broccoli 4
2 Tbsp Almonds 4
Snack:
2 Tbsp Peanut Butter 8
6 Crackers 2
TOTAL 77 grams

Other sources give this

Very nice list. I eat a lot of soybean and tofu products to supplement my protein needs. However I cannot help myself eating meats. Sometimes I mixed pork with tofu and drink soy milk. Taste good.

The list is very informative. I don't eat much meat, I use beans and nuts to increase the additional protein I need to keep my body healthy. When I increased the amount of beans I eat my finger nails got healthier and stronger.

Broccoli has more protein per lb than steak, collard greens are actually one of the most protein and calcium dense greens on the planet. My partner has been having the same problem since going vegan, but recently we discovered that your trainer might be wrong with what he's saying, you don't need much protein to build muscle at all, just consistent heavy weight training, and an abundance of carbohydrate calories, making sure they come from clean sources of course!
A very useful site that we have been using is called "CRONOMETER", this lets you input your daily intake of food and water and see exactly how much you are actually getting. I recommend that you do some research on how much protein you would actually need, looking at medical journals etc. Something else you might be interested in is a youtuber called "Vegan Gains", he can pretty much tell you everything you need to know about gaining muscle on a vegan diet.
Hope this helps!

I have a friend who is a vegetarian. And he drinks milk for protein. He said that he is not a pure vegan because if he doesn't drink milk, he is afraid to have weak bones when he grows old. With fruits and nuts, the protein is not enough, he said. Besides, he is afraid that nuts may give him arthritis. Well, I said that if he has a lot of apprehensions in going vegan then why not go back to his usual diet. His main reason is his dream to have a long life, thinking that going vegan can assure you of a long life.

Back
Top Bottom