Ghee

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:15 AM
Do you use ghee. If so, what dishes do you cook with it? And have you ever made your own ghee?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've made ghee (AKA clarified butter) on occasion when a recipe called for it. Never in large quantity to keep around though. I don't even remember what I've used it for it's been so long, probably something French or Persian though.

What is it? :unsure:

Its a type of clarified butter - usually used in Indian/Asian cooking.

ghee.jpg

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321707.php

Oh. Didn't know that it had another name.

It is also sometimes used in cake baking, to help make genoise, a light airy sponge cake. Very little flour is used & it mainly rises on egg power alone. You have to start beating the eggs over simmering water to get it started, pehaps to beat the eggs slightly until they warm up a little, then whip the living dsaylights out of them util they become the color & consistency of mayo. :wink:

Unfortunately no. I cook a lot of Asian food but can't eat dairy. I would like to taste test dished made with ghee vs sunflower oil. But then I might realise what I am missing!

I use ghee all the time for Indian curries, it keeps well also, and it's cheap as chips. I need to buy more. I'm out ATM.

Russ

I've made ghee (AKA clarified butter) on occasion when a recipe called for it. Never in large quantity to keep around though. I don't even remember what I've used it for it's been so long, probably something French or Persian though.

I'm not sure whether ghee is exactly the same as the type of clarified butter used in French classic cooking. I have a feeling its not but need to research...

OK - here is the difference between clarified butter used in French cooking and Ghee

Unlike clarified butter, which is cooked just to the point where the water evaporates and the milk solids separate (and sink), ghee is cooked until the milk solids begin to caramelize. Since the butter is cooked longer, ghee is also more golden in color. But like clarified butter, ghee does not contain milk solids and is pure butterfat.

Butter 101: Clarified Butter, Ghee, and Brown Butter - A Beautiful Platehttps://www.abeautifulplate.com/clarified-butter-ghee-and-brown-butter/

Unfortunately no. I cook a lot of Asian food but can't eat dairy. I would like to taste test dished made with ghee vs sunflower oil. But then I might realise what I am missing!

This might interest you @Herbie:

Ghee is the least likely dairy product to cause unpleasant intolerance symptoms. .Very pure ghee (99 -99.5% pure butter oil) may have trace amounts of casein and lactose remaining, but unless a person is extremely sensitive, it will normally not cause problems, even if other dairy does.

Dairy Intolerance - Pure Indian Foods

https://www.pureindianfoods.com/dairy-intolerance-a/259.htm

Ghee is my go-to cooking fat - I use it for everything that you'd normally use vegetable oil for (except deep frying as I very rarely deep fry anything), in fact I can't remember when I last used vegetable oil. I buy it in 1kg tins for about £6 and it lasts for ages.

Ghee definitely has a different taste to clarified butter - I would never use it in baking because I'm not sure the flavour would work. If baking calls for liquid fat then I'll just melt some unsalted butter and use that. I do make clarified butter to seal the top of pate, but I've never made my own ghee.....its just not worth it considering the cost of butter.

I haven't seen it for that price - where do you get it from?
The world foods aisle in Tescos.....though looking at their online groceries it might have gone up a bit since I last bought some :ohmy: They currently have it on offer at £7 but the normal price is now £8...so at full price the 500g tins from Ocado are better value.

The world foods aisle in Tescos.....though looking at their online groceries it might have gone up a bit since I last bought some :ohmy: They currently have it on offer at £7 but the normal price is now £8...so at full price the 500g tins from Ocado are better value.

Thanks! I've always bought it from Indian shops before but it looks like its cheaper from the supermarkets.

Back
Top Bottom