Giant-Screen TV!!!! Who Else Has One?!!

Discussion in 'The CookingBites Cafe' started by Shermie, 27 Nov 2018.

1. Shermie

Shermie Veteran

My new giant-screen TV is set up & working now!! So great to have a TV that's almost bigger than anything that I've ever bought before!! Who else has one?!! :wink:

Last edited: 12 Jun 2019
  2. I hope you like sports. There's nothing quite like watching a sporting event in high definition. But, even if you don't, special effects on a movie screen-type of setup are spectacular.

ElizabethB and Shermie like this.
  3. oddduck

oddduck Active Member

I was just talking about screen size the other day with a co worker...she wants a huge screen and i am fine with my 19", i actually watch more stuff lately on my 10” ipad than tv. Heck most my life i watched a 13” so 19” seems nice and big.

ElizabethB likes this.
  4. rascal

rascal Über Member

55 inch upstairs bought about 8 years ago, recently saw an ad here for a 65 inch for $999.
    Think I might be updating.?

Russ

5. Yorky

Yorky Uncomfortably numb Recipe Challenge Judge

My research has led me to believe that as we sit about 2.5 metres from the screen then anything over 43" would be over the top. We recently bought a 43" based upon this recommendation.

6. rascal

rascal Über Member

We have a 42 inch in the lounge downstairs.

Russ

7. Planethoff

Planethoff Member

It depends what you mean by "over the top" If you mean too much TV, then yes I totally agree, but as far as image quality that is no longer true. The advanced display resolutions in modern TVs, the pixel count is so high that you can now be at 2.5 meters with an 80" and still not see pixelation.

ElizabethB and buckytom like this.
  8. buckytom

buckytom Über Member

I just measured, and I usually sit about 7 meters from the TV, so 65" is just about right. I still think I should have gone for a 75.

Along with what Hoff just said, 4k resolution has eliminated pixel problems, and so long as your TV has a 120Hz refresh rate or higher, you won't have any problems watching fast motion like in sports. Ice hockey games on TV especially used to suffer from motion blur because of the speed of the game on a very white background.

ElizabethB and rascal like this.
  9. Yorky

Yorky Uncomfortably numb Recipe Challenge Judge

Yes, I mean too much TV. Our lounge is only small (by design) and the TV is situated on the "long side". Anything over 49" will overpower the room.

house plan.jpg

10. rascal

rascal Über Member

Our lounge upstairs is big, but I sit on the floor at night ( I know, I'm weird) and lean on the couch, and I'm only 2 metres away. 55 is perfect. We entertain up there. The 42 downstairs is mainly for background noise and able to be seen from the kitchen.

Russ

ElizabethB likes this.
  11. Planethoff

Planethoff Member

@Yorky I fully understand that. In a small room a big TV can be quite obnoxious.

ElizabethB and Yorky like this.
  12. Karen W

Karen W Senior Member

I'm waiting for a smart TV that will pop my popcorn. :spaghetti:

ElizabethB likes this.
  13. Lullabelle

Lullabelle Midlands, England

I find it difficult to understand why people buy huge tvs and mount them on the wall so that they have to sit with their heads tilted up at an un-natural angle

14. rascal

rascal Über Member

image.jpeg Both of mine are on cabinets. This is the downstairs one. Sorry but suns coming in.

Russ

Karen W likes this.
  15. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

Even stranger - which seems to happen a lot in my town is that folk place them bang square in the bay window of the front room - blocking out light and presenting a back view of their TV to passers-by. I think its a question of 'where will it fit?'.

ElizabethB and Lullabelle like this.