Gin bottle isn't running

LissaC

Legendary Member
Local time
2:36 PM
So the unthinkable has happened and I've got a bottle of really good gin that won't come out of the bottle. When I try to pour it, the liquid inside the bottle moves but won't come out. Has this ever happened to any of you? What can I do?

Reactions: mjd
So the unthinkable has happened and I've got a bottle of really good gin that won't come out of the bottle. When I try to pour it, the liquid inside the bottle moves but won't come out. Has this ever happened to any of you? What can I do?
What's blocking it? Maybe I'm not understanding what's going on. Take off the lid, upend the bottle, out comes gin. Is there something in the way of the opening?

What's blocking it? Maybe I'm not understanding what's going on. Take off the lid, upend the bottle, out comes gin. Is there something in the way of the opening?
The bottle has a cap and a stopper and it's the stopper that doesn't seem to be pouring. I take out the cap and try to pour the gin but it doesn't come out.

I'm still not following the exactly what you mean, but it would seem pretty straightforward - something is blocking the opening, so remove that something and you'll be fine.

I sometimes get olive oil bottles (plastic) where the manufacturing process failed to punch out some holes to allow the oil to pour out. I just get a pointy bottle opener, jab it into the plastic top, then pry it off.

Can you post a picture? Bottles with pourers (if that's what you have)...the pourer can usually be popped off. My two bottles of gin, one has a screw top and the other a cork top.

I'd have smashed the bottle over a sieve by now. Voila!!

Russ

LOL. We took a bottle of a special dessert wine to a neighbor's house once. Unfortunately, she broke the bottle neck trying to get the cork out. We had to line a colander with a paper towel and strain out the glass because there was no way we were going to pour that wine down the drain.

I'm still not following the exactly what you mean, but it would seem pretty straightforward - something is blocking the opening, so remove that something and you'll be fine.

I sometimes get olive oil bottles (plastic) where the manufacturing process failed to punch out some holes to allow the oil to pour out. I just get a pointy bottle opener, jab it into the plastic top, then pry it off.

Can you post a picture? Bottles with pourers (if that's what you have)...the pourer can usually be popped off. My two bottles of gin, one has a screw top and the other a cork top.
Some spirits come with a flame retardant stopper. I've encountered it on a number of bottles over the years. One such battle (lol, typo it should read bottle but battle will do) was a cask strength whisky... Another a bottle of vodka and another I think was a bicardi 151 that was a very high proof...
I suspect it could be that, that is causing the problem. They use the expansion of the air in the bottle to allow liquid out, but if the bottle is overfull there is insufficient air inside to allow a vacuum to form letting a small amount of liquid out. Catch 22. You need to liquid to come out to allow more to come out! But the stopper is usually a metal disc with holes in it designed to not allow the alcohol inside to catch fire... And you usually can't get them off either.

we've not heard. I suspect the bottle has flowed, adequate to satiate a response,,,, perhaps???

had a evoo bottle from portugal with an impossible flow regulator.... didn't work, couldn't get the dxxx thing out.....
center punch + hammer made it flow quite nicely.....
I think this has to be the case. But, I understand that liquor bottles sometimes have a spout added to discourage unscrupulous distributors from refilling the bottles. Here's an interesting discussion on this that might have the answer LissaC needs.

Johnnie Walker bottle cap - embarassing question - Spirits - Whiskey

Thank you everyone for your ideas, it's heart warming to see everyone's solidarity with a poor woman who wants her gin and can't have it :laugh: here is a picture of the bottle stopper for reference
151385857_492885388764334_2123287366485906616_n.jpg

Just to be annoying, I was trying to get a photo of me trying to pour the gin to show that the bottle isn't pouring, but the bottle worked fine this time. I noticed there's a small ball that seems to be somewhere inside the stopper, and it wasn't there when I tried to pour it the other day, my suspicion is that the small ball was stuck somewhere inside the stopper, keeping it from running, and it released itself somehow. So now it's 7PM and I have a ton of work to finish but here I am drinking a glass of gin because the bottle poured when it wasn't supposed to. Life could be worst :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom