Recipe Ginger and Coconut Creme Brulee

The Velvet Curtain

Forum GOD!
Local time
2:30 AM
Leicester: Where Britain keeps its crisps
We first had this at a posh hotel in Koh Samui, Thailand. Wonderful tropical flavour and no cream so lacto free. There are many variations on this recipe, but this is the one that works for me.

Ingrediants

400ml tin of coconut milk - the very best you can find, cheap cans are too watery, alternatively substitute in some coconut cream.
Thumb sized piece of ginger sliced
100g castor sugar
4 egg yolks
Demarara sugar for the crust

Method

Put the coconut milk in a pan and warm.
Add the sliced ginger and and keep on a low simmer for 5 minutes, do not boil.
Turn off the heat and let the ginger steap for 20 minutes. Taste during this process and stop when you like the flavour balance.
Strain the coconut milk to remove the ginger.
Preheat oven to 120C and put a kettle of water on to boil.
Heat the coconut milk until almost boiling.
Whisk together the egg yolks and caster sugar until foamy and light.
Once the coconut milk is ready, pour a little of it into the egg yolk mixture to temper it.
Add the eggs to the milk slowly until you get a smooth, creamy consistency.
Pour the mixture into ramekins then bake in a bain marie for 30-40 minutes until just set.
Remove and cool before refrigerating.
Just before serving cover with the demarara and blow torch or melt under a grill

Thank you, this is all new to me.
It's great to see someone else entering and I've also tagged it dairy free as well.

If you click on the tag added, or any tag for that matter, you will get a list of all threads on the site with that tag irrespective of what forum they are in. Try clicking on one and you'll see what i mean.

It fascinates me that there is a posh hotel in Koh Samui :D:D:D

However, it was '95 when I last visited.

Back
Top Bottom