Ginger, Who Knew :)

detroitdad

Legendary Member
Local time
4:07 PM
This is probably surprising to some. I've never bought fresh ginger before until today. That obviously means I have never cooked with it before.

I picked one up today to go with my planned wonton soup. WOW.....DOUBLE WOW.......As soon as I sliced into it the aroma grabbed a hold of me.

Just wanted to share my experience. I can't wait to try this new flavor profile moving forward with the new meals I'm going to create because of this site :)

B

:bravo:
Love fresh ginger. If you are not going to use it all at once put the remainder of the root in the freezer - wrapped.
Culinary ginger is on my list to plant this spring - in a very large container - invasive.

Thank you for the tip. I bought a very small piece of it because I didn't know exactly how much I was going to use, if I was even going to like it, ect.....If I have any left I'll definitely freeze it.

Thank you for the tip. I bought a very small piece of it because I didn't know exactly how much I was going to use, if I was even going to like it, ect.....If I have any left I'll definitely freeze it.

It will sit happily in a basket on the counter top for a week or so. Then it will either start shrivelling and drying out or sprouting shoots! It is very cheap to buy here and I always have some to hand. Freezing is good to as you can grate it (use a microplane) from frozen into dishes.

I also keep it in the freezer, in smaller pieces, ready to grate.

It certainly does have the wow factor!

Grate a bit into fruits that you are cooking, especially rhubarb, apples and pears.

I keep mine in the fridge in the butter compartment. It keeps well in there and is easy to peel, chop, and grate. I buy fresh, organic ginger direct from the farm. The last lot I bought from a supermarket very quickly turned into a brick.

Common ginger is so cheap at the grocery we don't bother growing it. Siamese ginger (galangal) isn't available so we grow it.

Back
Top Bottom