Glass noodles: do you use them?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:06 PM
They are also called cellophane noodles. I don't often use them but today I did, in a steamed scallop dish. They are really very pretty and also gluten free. They are also very brittle before you cook them and the only way I could find to separate the portion I needed (which was small) was to use scissors. This resulted in bits of noodles scattered far and wide across the kitchen counter and on the kitchen floor. Any tips appreciated!

Do you use them? What are the sorts of dishes you make?

Here are the scallops:

I think I used them once and didn't care for the look of them. They're just unnerving to me, probably due to the transparency factor.

long rice.jpg

I always have a bundle in my pantry.

chicken long rice1.jpg

This is a very popular dish in Hawaii, Chicken Long Rice.
It's served with far less broth than this normally, along side a bunch of other Hawaiian Luau type foods.
I like it more as a soup with loads of goodies in it.
Also (sorry I can't find my photo) is a lovely Korean dish Japchae, MMM!

They are also called cellophane noodles. I don't often use them but today I did, in a steamed scallop dish. They are really very pretty and also gluten free. They are also very brittle before you cook them and the only way I could find to separate the portion I needed (which was small) was to use scissors. This resulted in bits of noodles scattered far and wide across the kitchen counter and on the kitchen floor. Any tips appreciated!

Do you use them? What are the sorts of dishes you make?

Here are the scallops:

View attachment 76726

Morning Glory this is how I deal with them, after following the packages directions to cook them, while they're still in the pot, I take my kitchen shears and dive in, snipping the noodles into manageable bits.
I do prefer them more on the tender side, I soak them in hot water for 30 minutes and then cook them in the broth (and goodies) for another 30 minutes. This makes them very slurp-able ☺️

@Morning Glory this is how I deal with them, after following the packages directions to cook them, while they're still in the pot, I take my kitchen shears and dive in, snipping the noodles into manageable bits.

Ah - the thing is that I only needed a very small amount of them for the scallops so I needed to 'cut them' before cooking. Therein was the problem!

You can see here how little I needed (the noodles not in the pack):

Ah - the thing is that I only needed a very small amount of them for the scallops so I needed to 'cut them' before cooking. Therein was the problem!

You can see here how little I needed (the noodles not in the pack):

View attachment 76735

Aah!
Sometimes I will simply take the bunch between my hands, over the pot and break off a bit

I was probably being too prissy. I should have just gone for it like you say!
Yeah, `cuz sometimes I won't use the entire bunch for just 1 or 2 servings... DH hates these things, he says they're slimy and slippery, but then I grew up with them, the Asian influence is big in Hawaii.

I was probably being too prissy. I should have just gone for it like you say!
Can you possibly gently wrap them in a tea towel or kitchen paper towel and then break them in that? It'll keep them from flying about.

I have a recipe that calls for breaking up spaghetti into two-inch pieces, and that's what I do. Works a treat!

Can you possibly gently wrap them in a tea towel or kitchen paper towel and then break them in that? It'll keep them from flying about.

That is an idea. The thing is that I wanted to keep to keep them long (not broken/chopped off short bits). Scissors plus a tea towel could work very well to avoid the debris. :okay:

Back
Top Bottom