Gluten For Punishment ;)

Alunny

Veteran
Local time
9:33 PM
Website
www.jades-world.com
I really loved this video, it's extremely informative and really explains why going gluten free if you're not celiac/gluten intolerant is a really bad idea.

Generally speaking they have many times more fat, sugar, and salt than the regular versions. As well as being more expensive. It can cost thousands of extra dollars a year to go gluten free. Why would you want to when it's not actually healthier for you anyway?

I was tested for Celiac when it was discovered in some of my mums sisters, but I was given the all clear. I remember crying in the doctors office because back then there was not a lot of gluten alternatives (and the ones available tasted awful). I actually ended up living with one of them and it was extremely tough because if even a teeny bit of gluten got to her it would be awful. I wouldn't wish it on anyone!

This gluten free craze reminds me of the low fat craze - we're now finding out about how much extra sugar there is in these products, to make up for the loss of taste and texture. Whilst I don't believe it's ever a good thing to have too much of something - everything in moderation - I think it's crazy the way people suddenly abandon all common sense and rational thinking when it comes to this hype.

The one part of the video I didn't agree with was the gluten free shampoo. I never realized there was gluten in shampoo in the first place, but for celiacs, this is probably a very important product - if even a tiny amount of gluten is ingested by a celiac, it can cause problems.

It happens so often, really! I mean if you are eating a tonne of bread then YES, not eating a tonne of bread is going to make a huge difference ha ha. So maybe look at what the hell you're eating before you go on a crazy diet like this! It's not a diet most sane people would want to be on it just makes everything so hard. My poor aunt can't even have icecream without looking at the ingredients closely. She can't have many things I can - mustard can have gluten, all sorts of other spreads. Seriously it's a NIGHTMARE.

Normally you wouldn't ingest shampoo, and it would be washed out....so I think even if you sucked on your hair you'd be fine :).

It happens so often, really! I mean if you are eating a tonne of bread then YES, not eating a tonne of bread is going to make a huge difference ha ha. So maybe look at what the hell you're eating before you go on a crazy diet like this! It's not a diet most sane people would want to be on it just makes everything so hard. My poor aunt can't even have icecream without looking at the ingredients closely. She can't have many things I can - mustard can have gluten, all sorts of other spreads. Seriously it's a NIGHTMARE.

Normally you wouldn't ingest shampoo, and it would be washed out....so I think even if you sucked on your hair you'd be fine :).

I totally agree about it being a nightmare for celiacs - there are two in my family, and it makes family get-togethers a bit of a challenge.

About the shampoo, I know what you mean about not normally ingesting it, but when I think of my cousin who has to prepare his gluten free food in a completely separate part of the kitchen to where the rest of the family's food is prepared, I think it could be a problem to have even the tiniest spore of it the air; for some sufferers anyway.

I have tasted gluten free food and it taste horrible. I wanted to see why everybody was talking about this type of food so that is why I tried it. I will never do that again. It left a bad after taste in my mouth and almost made me sick. I will stick to my regular food. At least I know it taste good.

I totally agree about it being a nightmare for celiacs - there are two in my family, and it makes family get-togethers a bit of a challenge.

About the shampoo, I know what you mean about not normally ingesting it, but when I think of my cousin who has to prepare his gluten free food in a completely separate part of the kitchen to where the rest of the family's food is prepared, I think it could be a problem to have even the tiniest spore of it the air; for some sufferers anyway.

Ask your family members what shampoo they use, and I bet it will be regular stuff like Pantine or Sunsilk or what ever. The reason is simply because they aren't ingesting it at all, it's on the outside. I am 100% sure this product is simply trying to capitalise on a trend. I've read a couple of blogs today with celiacs saying that they have switched and it's solved a couple of "mystery glutenings" for them but if they were rinsing their hair properly and fully it wouldn't be an issue (with that said even I have trouble with that ha ha). Also since it cannot be proven I suspect it's probably all in their heads.

My aunt has to prepare things on items that haven't been in contact with gluten too, but generally speaking the poor woman struggles so much every day. It's the worst thing to have :(.

I know gluten-free diets have become a fad just as healthy living's become an overrated phrase in most people's mouth. People are simply becoming more and more aware of their mortality and the need to at least live the lives they want before old age sets in. I am particularly supportive of this gluten-free craze and the healthy living fad that's gripped this generation. But I'm hoping corporations stop taking advantage, producing products with crippling prices. If only there are affordable alternatives to these pricey products.

You might want to watch the video if you support this fad, because it's in NO WAY healthy for someone who can physically handle gluten. In fact it's not even all that great for gluten intolerant. You should never blindly support things (especially fads and trends), and many things we think are healthy are not. For example the McDonalds wraps are just as bad as their burgers, some of their salads are too. We think they're better because of the salad but they are not.

Back
Top Bottom