Recipe Gluten free, Chickpea Flour Beer Bread

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
5:47 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I'm not gluten free, but I do love chickpeas so this recipe was a must try for me.

I used a very light vegan Pilsner beer, but any vegan beer would make it vegan. But if you want a gluten-free loaf, you'll need to track down a gluten free beer. And if you don't want to use beer or can't have alcohol sparkling water will work just as well.

Now to point out the obvious, If you don't like the beer you won't like the taste of this bread. The beer taste comes through very dominantly because there are very few ingredients. And if you beat out all of the air from the batter, you'll not get a light or airy loaf.

This recipe is from Chickpea Flour Beer Bread {3 ingredients, vegan, oil-free} | powerhungry®

Ingredients
320g chickpea flour
320ml beer (roughly 1 normal sized can)
1¼ tsp baking soda
½ tsp finely ground sea salt

Method
  1. Preheat your oven 190°C (170°C fan assisted, 375F or gas mask 5). Grease the loaf tin but don't use one with ventilation holes in the bottom. This "dough" is more a batter than a typical dough.
  2. Sift the chickpea flour with the baking soda and sea salt if using. Carefully mix in the beer. You want to preserve the air bubbles in the batter, so don't beat the batter.
  3. Pour into the loaf tin and bake for 40 to 45 minutes testing with a skewer. The loaf is cooked when it is lightly brown, the top has started to crack and the skewer comes out clean.
  4. Stand on a cooling rack and allow to cool before removing from the loaf tin.

I have a feeling this place is going to hurt my wallet 😆

My kitchen here is tiny so I avoid the kitchen aisle in the supermarket but this recipe required a loaf tin.
I managed to put back the plates, the oil and vinegar dispenser and just get the loaf tin (and a cute little jar for the homemade mustard experiments), I don’t think I need to exercise now cos just going down that aisle sends my heart rate up 😆

0090C5F0-41E7-42CA-AB31-ADD0089BFD26.jpeg

I set a timer then forgot and set another timer for something else so had no idea how long it had been in the oven hence it being cut in the middle to see if it’s properly cooked.
I liked it hot and found it a bit too beery cold. I didn’t sieve the gram flour and that was a mistake, lumps formed that required longer mixing and I lost air.

I liked the cakey texture and will definitely have a look at more of these batter breads because it was so so easy to make and a nice change for the usual gluten free offerings.

Thankyou :)

Back
Top Bottom