Gluten Free Pizza

Enimrac

Veteran
Local time
10:04 PM
I was wondering if anyone on here new of any type of Pizza, or any restaurant chains that sold Gluten free pizza? I love eating pizza, it's one of my favorite foods, but I'm also trying to curb my carb intake, as well as how much gluten I consume. I guess if there are any gluten free pizzas out there, the difference would be in the type of bread and cheese they put on it. Anyway, feel free to post any suggestions if you guys know of any.

Sounds like a good and logical idea! :) Where would one get chickpea flour? I've never heard of that type of flour before.

That would depend largely on which country you are in, but chickpea flour is gram flour is garbanzo flour. In the UK I either purchase it in an Indian/Asian shop, my local health food shop or my supermarket in the 'free from' section, though it is a lot more expensive in my supermarket than in an Indian or Asian supermarket. You can also get it online as well.

I can't tell where you are from but in the UK we have several pizza chains that do gluten free alternatives. Pizza hut, Dominoes and Pizza Express. We have a shop here called, Marks and Spencers and their new pizza bases are just heaven. I get a few of them for the freezer. Not huge but as close to a real base as i've ever found and twice as tasty.

I believe California Pizza Kitchen started offering a gluten free pizza at their restaurants, but I haven't seen any gluten free offerings from them in the frozen section of our grocery stores yet. Many grocery stores these days have a section of gluten free bread products including pizza dough, which might be a more cost effective route than going out to eat. Plus you can supply all the fresh toppings you like.

I've never tried making a gluten free pizza dough from scratch, but I do recall seeing a rather detailed recipe on the America's Test Kitchen site, it was a video recipe, and the cooking technique was rather interesting. The "dough" they made was actually more like a batter which they ladled on to the pizza tray and baked it once first by itself, then they added the sauce and toppings and baked it again. Despite it starting out as a batter, they wound up with a firm crunchy crust.

Back
Top Bottom