Gluten Free???

caseydog

Local time
12:42 PM
This is something that I have been curious about for quite some time. I have a cousin with Celiac Disease, so he can't have gluten. I also have a friend who follows every "healthy eating" fad, and he is gluten free by choice.

Questions...

1. Are you gluten free?

2. Are you gluten free because of a medical reason, like Celiac Disease?

3. If not, is it by choice, and why?

CD

I was bought up where noone around me had allergies or gluten free. Well, not that I knew. Only 1 fat kid in my class at school. Or is that now called something PC.
I still don't know anyone around me to date. Maybe 1 vegetarian? I hadn't heard the word gluten until 10 ? Years ago. Or celiac or pescatarian??

But I'm old fashioned!!

Russ

I was bought up where noone around me had allergies or gluten free. Well, not that I knew. Only 1 fat kid in my class at school. Or is that now called something PC.
I still don't know anyone around me to date. Maybe 1 vegetarian? I hadn't heard the word gluten until 10 ? Years ago. Or celiac or pescatarian??

But I'm old fashioned!!

Russ

Celiac disease is rare, but very serious. People with that can NOT have gluten.

However, the number of people who are buying gluten free foods is FAR more than people who CAN'T have gluten. I'm trying to understand why.

CD

Celiac disease is rare, but very serious. People with that can NOT have gluten.

However, the number of people who are buying gluten free foods is FAR more than people who CAN'T have gluten. I'm trying to understand why.

CD
I'm at a loss at the number of people who have these conditions. I guess people must have been odd in that what they could eat. I just never came across it. Quite honestly I dont really care.

Russ

I do not avoiding gluten ... no bread or pasta or cookies or crackers or ...
BEER!
No no no NO!
DH's buddie and his wife are strict vegetarians by choice. The Missus is trying for the most part to not eat any foods containing gluten, and she claims that they both feel much better.
*Side note: they're both well over-weight! I stopped hangin' with her, `cuz she would make comments about what I ate and cooked... where as I say nothing about their lifestyle choices :scratchhead:

I respect people's choices. Yes for sure I do believe that some people are gluten sensitive. I don't know why. Maybe there were many people over centuries who had short life spans or just really uncomfortable lives because of it. I'm blessed that I can eat regular bread and pasta with no issues.

Last edited:
It's is believed and touted by celebrities, athletes and main stream media to be associated with a healthier lifestyle. BOOM. I have no autoimmune dysfunction that I'm aware of and can eat gluten. IBS, eating disorders, dairy, stress, gut microbiome are not well understood also help facilitate the opinion that it might be gluten as well and if it's an issue that is disrupting someone's life they should probably talk to their primary care physician.
This boom though is great for people that actually have gluten issues like Celiac but for the rest, it's just the privilege of paying more and feeling good doing it, because your healthier by staying away from gluten.....lol. fun times.

Last edited:
It's is believed and touted by celebrities, athletes and main stream media to be associated with a healthier lifestyle. BOOM. I have no autoimmune dysfunction that I'm aware of and can eat gluten. IBS, eating disorders, dairy, stress, gut microbiome are not well understood also help facilitate the opinion that it might be gluten as well and if it's an issue that is disrupting someone's life they should probably talk to their primary care physician.
This boom though is great for people that actually have gluten issues like Celiac but for the rest, it's just the privilege of paying more and feeling good doing it, because your healthier by staying away from gluten.....lol. fun times.

Yes, this boom in gluten free products and even restaurant items has been great for my cousin, who has Celiac disease. He was diagnosed when he was about five, and was very sick. That was about ten years ago. Not much was available to him then. So, I guess this fad (???) has been good for him. He has so many more options now.

CD

Yes, this boom in gluten free products and even restaurant items has been great for my cousin, who has Celiac disease. He was diagnosed when he was about five, and was very sick. That was about ten years ago. Not much was available to him then. So, I guess this fad (???) has been good for him. He has so many more options now.

CD
Yeah a good friend of mine experiences the same. Being in the restaurant business for a while now I've seen this unfold from the beginning where I need to have a few options for a few customers to working in a very high end health related spa/retreat where pretty much all guests that paid the exorbitant weekly fees for our services had gluten issues along with the plethora of other restrictions this group inflicted upon itself. It was an interesting job to say the least.

I'm gluten-free and have been for about 10 years. I don't have celiac but am gluten sensitive. I find cutting gluten out helped my anxiety a lot. It's a LOT easier now to be GF ... there are breads and pastas and all sorts of things that weren't available 10 years ago.

I'm not gluten free or particularly sensitive. I have friends and family who are though. One can't have wheat gluten, another just can't have any gluten period. Several are just sensitive to it, nothing that will kill.

My mother has become sensitive to gluten in the last 5 years or so. But she's become sensitive to a lot of things. She's benefited from eliminating gluten from her diet. Yeah, she's overweight but I've never, every known my mother at a normal weight. Even old photos of her show her very overweight. Neither of her parents were.

We've cut back on our gluten, we used to consume a loaf of bread a day between us when we where cycling a lot and when we are cycling around the world, we would get through 2 loaves a day (uncut wholemeal or rye or other heavy grains). We lived off it. But even then we knew that there was a limit. Years ago when I first got really ill with my dairy allergy, we tried making homemade seiten which is basically solid wheat gluten. That left us both with very painful wind of excessive quantities (to the point of neither of us being able to go to work the following day). It was desperately painful, needing medical attention. I've tried seiten a couple of times since, not homemade but commercial and we've experienced unusual levels of wind, and given our normal diet is fibre rich etc we're pretty good normally. So I do know that there is a limit for both of us, but other than trading bread for rice crackers at lunch which has helped hugely with weight control for both of us, we don't deliberately exclude gluten from our diets, but I often end up eating gluten free because it is frequently tied in with dairy free...

And if I hear another person respond to my question of "do you have anything dairy free please? " with the answer "no, but we've got gluten free", I'll kill them. The two have nothing in common and I loath and detest the free from ranges combining them... sorry for that rant. My allergy to dairy can kill me in 3 minutes flat and I really get fed up of being told that line, or being told we've got lactose free...

And if I hear another person respond to my question of "do you have anything dairy free please? " with the answer "no, but we've got gluten free", I'll kill them. The two have nothing in common and I loath and detest the free from ranges combining them... sorry for that rant. My allergy to dairy can kill me in 3 minutes flat and I really get fed up of being told that line, or being told we've got lactose free...
Kill is a little extreme but I'm sure they don't say it on purpose. Most people have no clue about nutrition and in the last decade the proliferation of people with every intolerance and allergy known to humans manifesting in the tsunami of the vocal demands of consumers towards every type of retailers who sell food can be confusing and is confusing.

This is something that I have been curious about for quite some time. I have a cousin with Celiac Disease, so he can't have gluten. I also have a friend who follows every "healthy eating" fad, and he is gluten free by choice.

Questions...

1. Are you gluten free?

2. Are you gluten free because of a medical reason, like Celiac Disease?

3. If not, is it by choice, and why?

CD

I am not gluten free.

In fact I am only tripe and haggis free.

1. No, but I used to be about 12 years ago.
2. Before we knew I had IBD (Ulcerative Colitis in my case) my doctor suspected I was 'non coeliac gluten intolerant' which he might have made up on the spot but my bowel problems were already severe enough for me to want to try anything. I've been gluten free for about a year.
3. It wasn't exactly by choice, because I did have a medical issue. Just not the one they thought I had, because they had not yet actually tested me but did give me a diagnosis. A lot of doctors seem to do that if they're unsure about a patients symptoms. It took me 10 years of problems before anyone diagnosed me with IBD and by then the damage was so severe that I didn't respond to any medication and got my ileostomy three years later.

I think a lot of the people who are gluten free have been adviced to do so by a doctor who didn't know what they were doing or wanted to give the patient an answer for their ailments that weren't serious enough to test according to that doctor.

I now know that a doctor can only diagnose something like coeliac disease or IBD by screening first, instead of saying 'I think you have this'.

I feel for those who have to be gluten free, it wasn't easy at all and very expensive. I'm glad I don't have to be gluten free anymore.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom