Recipe Goan Prawn Caldinho

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
8:09 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Reading the information provided on this recipe, certain phrases jumped out at me

Caldinho is a typical Goan preparation that is mildly spiced; usually made with fish but prawns or even just vegetables are commonly used in the gravy base.

and

Flavours in a Caldinho are tangy, sweet, lightly spiced with a hint of heat from the powdered spices

They appeals to me. I reckon the dish would work well with any vegetables, tofu or even TVP to make it vegan, though I do prefer to use my own tamarind dates r rather than a paste. Usually 50-60g of dates soaked in hot water for a couple of hours and then put through a seive is about the right amount.

The recipe comes from here. http://maunikagowardhan.co.uk/cook-...rry-cooked-with-ginger-chillies-coconut-milk/

prawn challenge.jpg

Ingredients
(Serves 4)

400g raw king prawns deveined with tails on
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp Goan vinegar or white wine vinegar
Pinch of salt
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 medium onion finely chopped
1 medium tomato finely chopped
3 cloves garlic pounded to a paste
1” piece of ginger pounded to a paste
400ml coconut milk
80ml water
1 tbsp tamarind paste
2 slit green chillies (deseeded if you prefer it mild)
Pinch of sugar
1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves for garnish

For the powdered spices;
1 tsp cumin seeds
10 black peppercorns
1 tbsp coriander seeds

Method
  1. In a bowl add the prawns and sprinkle over turmeric powder, vinegar and salt. Mix and set aside for 15-20 mins while you get the curry ready. In a coffee grinder tip in the cumin seeds, peppercorns and coriander seeds. Blitz to a fine powder and set aside.
  2. Heat the oil in a heavy based sauce pan and add the onions and fry for 5-7 mins on a medium until they start to change colour to a light brown. Add the chopped tomato and fry for 3-4 mins. As they begin to soften add the garlic and ginger paste and fry for a further minute.
  3. Now add the powdered spices and mix it all together. Fry for 2 minutes and add the marinated prawns. Stir coating them in the spiced sauce for a few seconds now add the coconut milk, water and tamarind paste.
  4. Bring to a simmer cooking the prawns until they turn pink for no more than 3-4 minutes. Add the green chillies and sugar. Garnish with coriander leaves and check the seasoning. Serve with steamed basmati rice or some pav bread and a fresh zingy salad.

Back
Top Bottom