Gochujang - discuss.

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
6:22 AM
I recently bought some Gochujang paste. Korean food has become increasingly popular in the UK and I know it is very popular in the US. In case you don't know, Gochujang paste is a fermented chilli paste. Its used in a great many Korean dishes - added to sauces, used as a marinade etc.

Anyway, I made a stir-fried marinated chicken dish today using the paste. And ... well I have to say I really don't like it very much. It seems to take over all the other flavours in the dish. I used only a teaspoon and the stuff I have is made in Korea so its not a Europeanised version. Then I looked at the ingredients - top of the list is 'starch syrup' which is, of course, sugar. This may be why I'm not keen. What do others think?

fullsizeoutput_3d26.jpeg

Last edited:
I agree that it can be overpowering. I think it has its place as a condiment. Love it as a dip for things like steamed squid or baby octopus. But I really sislike it as the ingredient that makes spicy Korean style sushi hot.

I think you are objecting to the paste form, and that it is fermented. Fermented foods are usually an acquired taste, often from childhood.

You might want to look up gochugaru, the powder from which gochujang is made.

Fermented foods are usually an acquired taste, often from childhood.

You might want to look up gochugaru, the powder from which gochujang is made.

I don't think its the fermentation - I love fermented prawn paste, fish sauce, miso, kimchi etc. but I will certainly look up the powder as you suggest.

Maybe it's the dish/recipe? What else was in it? Or maybe it's a bad batch? You know I don't like spice like you and Craig do, but I absolutely love the bibimbap we make. I just don't use as much sauce as Craig does.

Which brand did you buy?

Last edited:
I don't think its a bad batch - my partner loves it! I put sesame oil, soy sauce, ginger and a little honey in the chicken dish.

This one:

360914011_0_640x640.jpg

Love the stuff..I have learned to use it sparingly..it's nice to use in Western style applications like bbq sauces, a small amount in chicken noodle soup transforms...I have a pork bone soup planned soon..a friend who raises Berkshire pork gave me a bag of bones..can't wait..

Love the stuff..I have learned to use it sparingly..it's nice to use in Western style applications like bbq sauces, a small amount in chicken noodle soup transforms...I have a pork bone soup planned soon..a friend who raises Berkshire pork gave me a bag of bones..can't wait..

Maybe I used too much? One teaspoon in the above plate for one (one chicken breast plus peppers and courgette) mixed with soy sauce and sesame oil.

I've loved every dish we've made with it. You need to have some ice cold soju with your meal. Preferably the 53% alcohol by volume.:whistling:

I've loved every dish we've made with it. You need to have some ice cold soju with your meal. Preferably the 53% alcohol by volume.:whistling:

I didn't even find the paste hot - just far too sweet for my taste and medium heat.

Did you say 53% alcohol! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom