Good crock pot recommendation

Frances

Local time
4:17 PM
I am shopping around for a new large crock pot. Can anyone recommend a make or model that they are satisfied with. I live in USA.

Hi Frances, I have a variety of different brands. The oldest large one I have is over 25 years old and still going strong. The brand is Rival. It's probably 8 quarts? Not even sure if they make them anymore.

My next largets one is a Hamilton Beach 6 quart, then I have the Crockpot brand 4 quart. I also have two small Kitchen Gourmet 1.5 quart crockpots, but since you specifically stated you wante a large one and those are cheapos I picked up at Walgreen's...

My dad and stepmom had a Crockpot brand in the 1970s they were still using in the 1990s, so I would say it's old school reliable, but like everything other appliance (large or small) these days, they probably don't make 'em like that anymore.

Also, mine are all the basic features of high, low, warm, and off. They have these high tech ones these days with timers and such, so I guess it all depends on what you are looking for and what your budget is.

I have an Instant Pot brand that does Slow Cooking, but I understand that it's not recommended.
Yeah, I have an 8 quart Crock Pot brand slow cooker that's probably 15 years old and still keeps on tickin' and I would agree with JAS_OH1 , nowadays who knows what you'll get.
I like to read reviews on Amazon of an item that I'm going to purchase... just IMHO.

I’ve got a Crockpot brand that’s 20-25 years old. Nothing special on the features (Warm, Low, High), no timer or exact temp setting, but it chugs along.

What I like about it: it’s simple, it works, and it came with two inserts. One is probably 8 quarts, I’m guessing, and the second one is divided across the middle, so I can either cook two things in it or a smaller portion.

What I don’t like: I think it runs hot…very hot. It took me a while to get used to it, and even on low, I’ve burned a few things over the years.

I’ve got a Crockpot brand that’s 20-25 years old. Nothing special on the features (Warm, Low, High), no timer or exact temp setting, but it chugs along.

What I like about it: it’s simple, it works, and it came with two inserts. One is probably 8 quarts, I’m guessing, and the second one is divided across the middle, so I can either cook two things in it or a smaller portion.

What I don’t like: I think it runs hot…very hot. It took me a while to get used to it, and even on low, I’ve burned a few things over the years.
All of mine do that, too. I sometimes turn it off a few hours here and there. Maybe next time I'll get one with a timer. I kinda have a thing for slow cookers, lol.

I have an Instant Pot brand that does Slow Cooking, but I understand that it's not recommended.
Yeah, I have an 8 quart Crock Pot brand slow cooker that's probably 15 years old and still keeps on tickin' and I would agree with JAS_OH1 , nowadays who knows what you'll get.
I like to read reviews on Amazon of an item that I'm going to purchase... just IMHO.
Isn't it weird that appliances would offer a feature that's not recommended?

All of mine do that, too. I sometimes turn it off a few hours here and there. Maybe next time I'll get one with a timer. I kinda have a thing for slow cookers, lol.
Honestly, I’ve been using a Dutch oven and my actual oven set to 300F for a lot of slow cooker recipes the last couple of years. I simmer soups and sauces that way, too.

Isn't it weird that appliances would offer a feature that's not recommended?
Engineer: Yeah, it’s really fast, sort of like a pressure cooker, so we thought you all in marketing could come up with a snazzy name.
Marketer 1: FastMaker?…QuickyCook?…it kind of looks like a pot of some sort…
Marketer 2: Looks like a slow-cooker to me.
Engineer: Yeah, but it’s not slow, not at all, it’d be terrible for that. It cooks things almost instantly.
Marketer 1: InstantPot!
Marketer 2: But we should go ahead and add a “slow cooker” button here to the front. Like a feature.
Engineer: Yeah, but it’s crap at slow cooking. The whole point is that it cooks fast, in a fraction of the time, undertand?
Marketer 2: Yep, got it. So we’ll add that button and put in the manual that it’s not recommended.
Marketer 1: Brilliant!
Marketer 2: And put a red circle around that button on the box it comes in and say something like “With Slow Cooker Function!” Really sell it!

Hi Frances, I have a variety of different brands. The oldest large one I have is over 25 years old and still going strong. The brand is Rival. It's probably 8 quarts? Not even sure if they make them anymore.

My next largets one is a Hamilton Beach 6 quart, then I have the Crockpot brand 4 quart. I also have two small Kitchen Gourmet 1.5 quart crockpots, but since you specifically stated you wante a large one and those are cheapos I picked up at Walgreen's...

My dad and stepmom had a Crockpot brand in the 1970s they were still using in the 1990s, so I would say it's old school reliable, but like everything other appliance (large or small) these days, they probably don't make 'em like that anymore.

Also, mine are all the basic features of high, low, warm, and off. They have these high tech ones these days with timers and such, so I guess it all depends on what you are looking for and what your budget is.

Great minds think alike, hey?!! Mine is by Rival as well! :whistling:

When they were first introduced in the early '70's, there was a storm of controversy. Consumers were very skeptical as to whether they were safe to use or not. Some thought that anything that's cooked in them could possibly spoil, leading to strict health concerns. But it was proven to be false & it turns out that thay they ARE safe to use. :whistling:

Last edited:
I have two crock pots, both which I still used up until recently... I bought a set of two dutch ovens ones 4qt and the others 7qt. I seem to cook everything I use to make in a slow cooker in my dutch ovens now, even with the same attention I'd give the meals in the slow cooker and it seems to taste better.

I have two crock pots, both which I still used up until recently... I bought a set of two dutch ovens ones 4qt and the others 7qt. I seem to cook everything I use to make in a slow cooker in my dutch ovens now, even with the same attention I'd give the meals in the slow cooker and it seems to taste better.
I love my enameled cast iron dutch ovens as well. I have 4 of those. But, I can go to work all day and leave my crockpot on to cook a meal, whereas obviously I can't do that with the dutch ovens. They both make super soups and stews! Not sure if the food from the dutch oven actually tastes better or not, LOL.

whereas obviously I can't do that with the dutch ovens.
I do mine. I just throw them in the oven at around 300F and let them go the same time as the slow cooker recipe calls for.

Some people don’t like running their oven all day, but I don’t mind.

I do mine. I just throw them in the oven at around 300F and let them go the same time as the slow cooker recipe calls for.

Some people don’t like running their oven all day, but I don’t mind.
Mmmm, yeah, I think your work hours are more predictable than mine are. I might be gone 4 hours or maybe 7, it just depends on a lot of things. I can trust hubby to stir the food in the crockpot (if it's something that requires stirring) or to turn it off or to low. I would rather not risk trying that with the oven!

Mmmm, yeah, I think your work hours are more predictable than mine are. I might be gone 4 hours or maybe 7, it just depends on a lot of things. I can trust hubby to stir the food in the crockpot (if it's something that requires stirring) or to turn it off or to low. I would rather not risk trying that with the oven!
Well, I don’t generally leave the house for work, so that helps.

Back
Top Bottom