Good ways to have sweet potato?

Jaymun

Veteran
Local time
1:00 PM
Sweet potato is one of my favorite foods, and it's so incredibly healthy that I try to eat it all the time.

The problem is I'm getting bored with how I eat it, usually I either just mash it like regular mashed potatoes, or bake it and cut it open, sometimes adding some butter and/or cinnamon.

Any suggestions on how to spice things up?

I add them to chicken or vegetable curries. Leave them in big chunks, so they don't disintegrate. Also, if you're making vegetable soup, chop them up small and add to the broth. They help thicken the soup, and give it an interesting texture, colour and flavour.

If I want a quick, low fat lunch or supper, I serve a baked sweet potato with home made coleslaw, tuna and sweetcorn. The flavours combine surprisingly well.

I usually add butter and cinnamon, but I've heard that brown sugar can be good on sweet potatoes as well. I've made sweet potato soup as well, that's one of the best foods I've ever had.

I always have my sweet potato just like a dessert thing. That's how it's cooked in where I come from. Boil water with ginger ,depending on how much ginger taste you want it,if you want it spicier than you boil it a bit longer with sugar. Add your sweet potato that you cut into square cubes until they are a bit soft. Cover your pan so the ginger will soak into the sweet potato.That's how I eat mine all the time. In winter, I'd eat it hot. In summer,I'd eat it cold. It's perfect especially after it sits for a day,the flavor is all there.

You can make some very nice potato chips in the oven with sweet potatoes, a little olive oil, and salt.

I add them to chicken or vegetable curries. Leave them in big chunks, so they don't disintegrate. Also, if you're making vegetable soup, chop them up small and add to the broth. They help thicken the soup, and give it an interesting texture, colour and flavour.

If I want a quick, low fat lunch or supper, I serve a baked sweet potato with home made coleslaw, tuna and sweetcorn. The flavours combine surprisingly well.

I use sweet potatoes in the way that Sandra Piddock has described here. I add them to chicken or mutton curries, but I don't add them in big chunks though. I cut them small. I also add them in soups.

I like putting my sweet potatoes in to veg soup. It gives a nice flavor to the soup, rather then using normal potatoes.

Funnily enough I am currently in a discussion regarding Sweet potatoes on the Over the Gate Smallholders forum:

Do you eat regular potatoes at all? If so then just try replacing them with sweet potatoes in the dishes.
One thing I like to do quite often is to mix potatoes (cubes) and certain other vegetables and fry them on a pan. Add some spices and you get a tasty potato + veggie side for a steak. I imagine this would be excellent with sweet potatoes.

How about some sweet potato gnocchi in a brown butter sauce? You could perhaps add some spices and fresh herbs as well. Or perhaps some sweet potato pierogies (or ravioli) in a mushroom cream sauce?

I don't really like sweet potatoes unless it's sweet potato fries. I know... so unhealthy. But it's the only way I enjoy them! I did one enjoy a mashed potato dish where the cook mixed regular potato with sweet potato, but you could barely taste the sweet potato in it. It just gave it a lighter, slightly sweeter taste, it was actually really good.

Does anybody have the recipe for baked sweet potato. It was with a red onion pickle dressing and a side of cream fresh it was a recipe in good food magazine some time in the summer and was amazing but I now can't find the recipe anywhere

Back
Top Bottom