Gooseberries

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
10:01 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I have very kindly been given roughly 5kg of gooseberries. I'm at a loss as what to do with that amount. It makes for rather a lot of crumble. They are not a particularly tart gooseberry, in fact they are surprisingly sweet tbh. No issues with eating them raw. I need ideas aside from puddings which I need to limit for a number of reasons because of my blood sugars getting to high for me to sleep and also I'm on a diet.

Thoughts please remembering I am effectively vegan.

Well obviously you could make jam to keep, or chutney. But there are lots of recipes out there for gooseberry sauce (to be served with oily fish, pork or duck). But I can't see why a gooseberry sauce wouldn't be a great accompaniment to a vegan roast or burger/pattie. In fact, I would think it might work very well, as sometimes nut based burgers and the like can be rather dryish on the palate, so the gooseberries would add a sharper refreshing twist. Alternatively, given you are on a diet, you could make gooseberry sorbet and use a natural sugar substitute like Truvia or alternatively just a small amount of sugar.

GOOSEBERRY REFRIGERATOR JAM

Yield: Makes 12 servings (¼ cup per serving)

INGREDIENTS
  • 750g peeled gooseberries
  • 125g dried apricots, finely chopped
  • 15g fresh ginger, finely grated
  • The juice of 1 lime
  • 2 fresh vanilla beans
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Add the gooseberries, chopped apricots, ginger and lime juice to a heavy bottomed saucepan.
  2. Using a sharp paring knife, split the vanilla beans in half lengthwise and scrape the seeds with the tip of the knife.
  3. Add the seeds as well as the now empty pods to the saucepan. They add a lot of flavor and you can even leave them in the jars until the jam is all gone.
  4. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and continue cooking until the gooseberries start to pop and release their juice and seeds, about 5 minutes.
  5. You want to keep about half the fruits whole, so make sure you don't overcook your jam.
  6. If you are planning on eating the whole batch within a week, just allow the jam to cool and keep refrigerated in an airtight container, for 8-10 days.
  7. However, if you want to keep it a little bit longer, transfer the jam while it's still hot into clean Mason jars and close the lids loosely. Allow to cool completely and transfer to the refrigerator.
  8. If a proper seal forms, you will be able to keep your jam for a couple of weeks in the refrigerator.
  9. Of course, if you know how ('cuz I don't), you could also can this the proper way and keep it on the shelf for several months... but if you're gonna do that, I think you should make a much bigger batch!
Notes
Refined Sugar Free
Gooseberry-Compote-NF.jpg

http://www.feastie.com/

We did a pudding fir a vegan lady the other day ,not for a diet really!
French toast using almond milk ,gooseberry and banana compote,and a vegan ice cream
Banana in the compote with a bit of grated orange sweetened it naturally !

GOOSEBERRY REFRIGERATOR JAM

Yield: Makes 12 servings (¼ cup per serving)

INGREDIENTS
  • 750g peeled gooseberries
  • 125g dried apricots, finely chopped
  • 15g fresh ginger, finely grated
  • The juice of 1 lime
  • 2 fresh vanilla beans
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Add the gooseberries, chopped apricots, ginger and lime juice to a heavy bottomed saucepan.
  2. Using a sharp paring knife, split the vanilla beans in half lengthwise and scrape the seeds with the tip of the knife.
  3. Add the seeds as well as the now empty pods to the saucepan. They add a lot of flavor and you can even leave them in the jars until the jam is all gone.
  4. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and continue cooking until the gooseberries start to pop and release their juice and seeds, about 5 minutes.
  5. You want to keep about half the fruits whole, so make sure you don't overcook your jam.
  6. If you are planning on eating the whole batch within a week, just allow the jam to cool and keep refrigerated in an airtight container, for 8-10 days.
  7. However, if you want to keep it a little bit longer, transfer the jam while it's still hot into clean Mason jars and close the lids loosely. Allow to cool completely and transfer to the refrigerator.
  8. If a proper seal forms, you will be able to keep your jam for a couple of weeks in the refrigerator.
  9. Of course, if you know how ('cuz I don't), you could also can this the proper way and keep it on the shelf for several months... but if you're gonna do that, I think you should make a much bigger batch!
Notes
Refined Sugar Free
Gooseberry-Compote-NF.jpg

http://www.feastie.com/

They have been topped and tailed. I am NOT peeling them as well.... I may revise the recipe.

You could always freeze some until you need them
About 4 kg have been.

We did a pudding fir a vegan lady the other day ,not for a diet really!
French toast using almond milk ,gooseberry and banana compote,and a vegan ice cream
Banana in the compote with a bit of grated orange sweetened it naturally !
sadly bananas and I do not get on. more a they don't like me so I am now programmed to throw up and the smell of them, if you get my drift.
But I am left wondering about a dairy free gooseberry sorbet.... I shall have to think on that one. (and yes I know sorbets should be dairy free but you would be amazed (or perhaps not?) at the number that have cream added to them or skimmed milk powder etc....

They have been topped and tailed. I am NOT peeling them as well.... I may revise the recipe.

About 4 kg have been.

sadly bananas and I do not get on. more a they don't like me so I am now programmed to throw up and the smell of them, if you get my drift.
But I am left wondering about a dairy free gooseberry sorbet.... I shall have to think on that one. (and yes I know sorbets should be dairy free but you would be amazed (or perhaps not?) at the number that have cream added to them or skimmed milk powder etc....
Omit the banana add some natural sugar or honey,I did a gooseberry and ginger sorbet which was ok but never set solid .it was ball able,star anise is a good flavouring with gooseberry ,I also do Cheffy gooseberry and chilli jam for shell fish

There seem to be a lot of dairy free sorbet recipes which include elderflower cordial. Some are dead simple and don't suggest sieving the gooseberries once cooked. Some add whipped egg white at the last stage. Hey! You could try using bean water instead of egg white! :D

Back
Top Bottom