Grandma's Recipes Updates

Mockingbird

Veteran
Local time
6:02 AM
I have a series of cook books and recipes that were my grandmothers and great aunts. Last night I went through some of these trying to find different cookie recipes. I found a great on in my aunt's notes but it called for something odd it asked for Oleo. What is that? Is it still sold or is there something comparable I can substitute?

Screenshot_2014-12-15-18-48-15.png

You can use margarine or even Crisco for any recipe that calls for oleo. All of my grandma's recipes call for oleo too. In fact, when we were little and used to run around her kitchen, she would say Oleo and we'd automatically reach for the Crisco container.

I think the brand name "Oleo" has become one of those words we use to describe anything of its type. I am a fan of Stork myself - it is cheap, lasts forever and is great for vegan cookery. It is also much lower in saturated fat than it's alternatives.

I am a fan of Stork myself - it is cheap, lasts forever and is great for vegan cookery. It is also much lower in saturated fat than it's alternatives.
Just watch which Stork margarine you are using. Apparently only the block version of Stork is vegan containing a plant source of vitamin D2, whereas the tub version is Vitamin D3 which can't be plant based iirc.

www.veganoo.net/2014/09/is-it-vegan-stork-block.html

Back
Top Bottom