Granola and Granola Bars

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
12:24 AM
I plan on experimenting with creative Granola and Granola Bars and would like to open a discussion thread and link in Granola/Granola Bar recipes.

So, to that end, I am opening a thread for the topic. I think everybody loves Granola products and so I figure we have quite a bit to discuss in terms of techniques, ingredients and more.

Frankly, I'd like to go beyond the store bought Granola products. They get a bit common and I want some alternates.

I like granola in cereal form, I don't like granola bars or to eat it out of hand.

I've made my own several times, usually following America's Test Kitchen's recipe.

I think everybody loves Granola products

Maybe I'm unusual but I really don't. One big issue with granola is that it usually contains quite a lot of sugar and yet it is often marketed as a 'healthy' food. I'm not really a fan of cereals for breakfast at all, but that's just me. I used to hate muesli when it was 'trendy' back in the 60's and that didn't even have sugar in it. I think sugar may have crept into muesli products these days.

Maybe I'm unusual but I really don't. One big issue with granola is that it usually contains quite a lot of sugar and yet it is often marketed as a 'healthy' food. I'm not really a fan of cereals for breakfast at all, but that's just me. I used to hate muesli when it was 'trendy' back in the 60's and that didn't even have sugar in it. I think sugar may have crept into muesli products these days.

I can see your point, but I like Granola products.

Morning Glory

Let's take another look at sugars that can be caramelized, sugars that you likely consume all the time in fruits.

I plan on using Fruit Sugars, by say, caramelizing Apple Sauce, Pineapple or Mango Puree. Maple Syrup and Honey are a good picks right from the gitgo. True, I may for some Granola use Light Brown Sugar. And then too, you introduced me (with Burt Blank) to Agar and Gelatin usage. That might be usable here too. Of course, melted Chocolate is a winner.

I am also considering using dehydrated fruits, like Banana Chips, Dried Mango, Apricot and Figs, in addition to various nuts and other Grains like Farro Perlato.

In short, I will be doing some evaluation of a wide variety of techniques and ingredients for Granola and Granola Bars. I also understand that some Granola is fried, not baked. Granola Bars are always baked, I think.

you likely consume all the time in fruits.

Ha ha! You think I eat a lot of fruit... ? The last piece of fruit I ate was er...um... :oops:

I am also considering using dehydrated fruits, like Banana Chips, Dried Mango, Apricot and Figs, in addition to various nuts and other Grains like Farro Perlato.

Seriously. Good idea there.

I used to make my own granola years ago. I used dried fruit and nuts that I liked like cherries, apricots, pineapple, pecans, cashews, macadamia, not all at once, just whatever took my fancy for each batch. I think I used honey. I used to eat half a container of vanilla yogurt and some granola for lunch. I should look for the recipe and see if I still have it, as I actually liked my homemade granola versus store bought.

I used to make my own granola years ago. I used dried fruit and nuts that I liked like cherries, apricots, pineapple, pecans, cashews, macadamia, not all at once, just whatever took my fancy for each batch. I think I used honey. I used to eat half a container of vanilla yogurt and some granola for lunch. I should look for the recipe and see if I still have it, as I actually liked my homemade granola versus store bought.

Yes, I had been hearing that doing your own Granola was better than store bought for various reasons. I had fun creating my first Granola and Granola Bars and I have all kinds of Nuts and Dried Fruit and Berries for selecting from for the next batch. I also have a choice of honey or maple syrup (at present).

Back
Top Bottom