Grating tomatoes

Local time
11:43 AM
Website
www.helium.com
Yes, that's right - grating tomatoes! This is a technique that's widely used in Spanish cooking. It's not as dangerous as it sounds, because as you grate the tomato into the bowl, the skin peels back and forms a shield for your finger tips. Once you're used to the technique, it's quick and easy, and you can get every bit of the flesh away from the skin, so it's economical too.

The Spanish serve tomato paste with bread before a meal, or on toast for breakfast. It's simply grated tomato with a drizzle of olive oil and black pepper, If it's too runny, it's thickened with a little tomato puree. You can add finely chopped onion and cucumber to make relish, or use it as it is to flavour and thicken soups, stews and casseroles.

Have you ever grated tomatoes? Have you any uses to share?

I became addicted to them on toast for breakfast whilst in Barcelona. Sadly the tomatoes you generally buy in Britain just don't have enough flavour most of the year round, so I have to resort to using drained tinned plum tomatoes mashed down with olive oil and a little touch of garlic. Not the same I know but the best approximation available.

What you describe is a tomato concasse (french term).
I would blanch the tomatoes then chop them - or use a drained tin of chopped tomatoes, like TVC above.
Fresh tomatoes here in the UK are a bir tasteless, unless you manage to grow your own.

I have not grated a tomato.
But when I grate capsicums, the skin peels back and forms a shield for your finger tips as you have described above.

Oh love that tomatoe bread! I too was converted out in Barcelona with the lovely Iberico ham!

I grate tomatoes and onions for certain dishes, lends a different type of texture.

Have since tried grating tomatoes. Kind of messy so a bowl is needed under the grater, but it does work really well and gets rid of most of the skin really easily.

You definitely need a bowl. You can buy a grater with an integrated bowl in Poundland, if there's one near you. Just make sure the grater is clipped onto the bowl securely before you start. I've had that problem to deal with in the past!

You definitely need a bowl. You can buy a grater with an integrated bowl in Poundland, if there's one near you. Just make sure the grater is clipped onto the bowl securely before you start. I've had that problem to deal with in the past!

fraid skint me will have to put up with a normal bowl under the normal sieve, but it is a technique I am using more and more. It makes for a great sauce.

Also tried grated mushrooms last night - fried them up before adding the onions and grated tomatoes and made for a fantastic vegan alternative to bolognes sauce which looked authentic. Then add the usual 101 spices, that is.

What you describe is a tomato concasse (french term).
I would blanch the tomatoes then chop them - or use a drained tin of chopped tomatoes, like TVC above.
Fresh tomatoes here in the UK are a bir tasteless, unless you manage to grow your own.
tomato concasse is not the same, its only the fleshy outer diced not the seeds and inners.

Back
Top Bottom