Great British Bake Off Here We Come!

TheChefGoingHomeToday

Local time
6:29 PM
Lots of people seem to have taken up baking during lockdown. For me, it's by far my weakest area cooking wise but I've not had time on my hands due to work. It is an area I'd like to be proficient at though, so I'm making a concerted effort to learn baking and pastry skills. I've enrolled with an online pastry school and invested in this little piece of kit. It seems a good mid-range model that's popular with established bakers. My mother was a keen baker and had the same Kenwood Chef for over 30 years. Watch this space for some photos, if I'm brave enough to post them!

20210302_212842.jpg

Good luck! Baking cakes is not my forte but I'm happy making pastry and bread. I look forward seeing your results.

...Blimey! I just looked at the retail price of your new mixer. You are going to have to turn out lots of baking to justify the expense!

...Blimey! I just looked at the retail price of your new mixer. You are going to have to turn out lots of baking to justify the expense!
This is one of the "cheaper" models. I got it from John Lewis, who also sell mixers for up to £1,200! Beyond a cooker and a hob, it's the most expensive thing I've bought for cooking, so yes lots of baking needed to justify the expense.

This is one of the "cheaper" models. I got it from John Lewis, who also sell mixers for up to £1,200! Beyond a cooker and a hob, it's the most expensive thing I've bought for cooking, so yes lots of baking needed to justify the expense.

I simply couldn't justify it - my kitchen is small and there's no room to have it on a counter. And if something isn't on the counter its probably not going to get used much! I don't have a stand mixer - I've got a simple stick blender and mini-chopper (the latter rarely gets used). Luckily, I enjoy making pastry and bread by hand in any case.

Back
Top Bottom