Great British Bake Off: Mary Berry staying with BBC and not moving to Channel 4 with the show

Shaun

Guru
Local time
6:07 AM
After Channel 4 outbid the BBC for the popular cooking show the Great British Bake Off #GBBO, people have been wondering whether the shows main hosts, Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood, will be following the show?

It seems Mary Berry, along with her co-hosts Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins, will not be moving to Channel 4.

Mary gave this statement via her Facebook page:

upload_2016-9-22_12-46-1.png

Farewell to soggy bottoms indeed! :happy:

Update: Paul Hollywood staying with the show - https://twitter.com/PaulHollywood/status/778907656039854080

Last edited:
What do think will happen to the show now? Will it be as good with just Paul and some other random new hosts? Will it work at all without Mary, Mel and Sue?

What do think will happen to the show now? Will it be as good with just Paul and some other random new hosts? Will it work at all without Mary, Mel and Sue?
I expect it will work OK. I've never been that enamoured with Mary Berry (this might be me as I happen to know a bit about her political views). I think Paul H has a big female following. Well...he is a bit of a hunk! To replace Mary, they could bring in Delia! I doubt she would do it though. But there are quite a few charismatic female TV chefs with baking credentials. Rachael Koo? Lorraine Pascale? Paul has also worked with Nigella - but she isn't really an expert baker. I'm making the assumption they will look for a woman to keep the formula - but of course, there are some excellent male bakers. Dan Lepard? And then of course we have James Martin. He is a trained pastry chef and he has left Saturday Kitchen. Very popular with women viewers too - I think he would secure the future success of the series.:D

And then there is last year's winner: Nadiya Hussain. Hmmm...

Last edited:
It will need to be someone who can flirt with Paul and be rather cheeky so I am going with a female co-host, Mary's shoes are quite something to fill so good luck to whoever takes over.

If they put in too many advert breaks then it could spoil the whole thing but if they make changes to the format then it could work really well but die hard fans may not like changes so Channel 4 have a big job on their hands.

Back
Top Bottom